Local Free Food

If you know what’s good for you, you’ll come through to the DUC at 6 p.m. this Thursday, October 1st for our ‘Taste of WashU’ event.

We’ll be giving out food from five STL restaurants: Fitz’s, Pickleman’s, Riverbend Bar, Fountain on Locust, and Vernon’s BBQ. If free food isn’t all you’re looking for, be one of the first 25 people at the event and you’ll get a $5 gift card to Piccione Pastry on the Loop (that you’ll probably want to save for tomorrow because you’ll be so full from all the free food). Enter the raffle to win a $50 gift card to the Peacock Diner’s “Carousel of Love” for you and a date, or one of three $10 Blueberry Hill gift cards. Also featured will be a wheel for rewards, where you can win all kinds of Spoon swag like bags, stickers, and pens.

While you scarf down Vernon’s pulled pork and sip Fitz’s famous root beer, catch the screening of episodes from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and Cupcake Wars that feature some of the St. Louis food scene’s most famous restaurants. Finally, make sure you stay to hear the creator of the FoodShare app speak on all things tech and food.

Restaurants featured:

Vernon’s BBQ
Type of food: BBQ
Location: 6707 Vernon Ave., University City, St. Louis
Bear Bucks: Yes
Providing us with: Pulled pork and rolls

Fitz’s
Type of food: American
Location: Delmar Loop
Bear Bucks: Yes
Providing us with: Root beer keg

Fountain on Locust
Type of food: Ice cream bar
Location: 3037 Locust St., St. Louis
Bear Bucks: No
Providing us with: Chocolate

Riverbend Bar
Type of food: Cajun and Creole
Location: 1059 S. Big Bend Blvd., St. Louis
Bear Bucks: Yes
Providing us with: Chicken and sausage gumbo

Pickleman’s
Type of food: Deli
Location:3722 Laclede Ave., St. Louis
Bear Bucks: No
Providing us with: Turkey and ham sandwiches