When you walk into Frank Dining Hall, you might feel like this:

survival

or this:

survival

Never fear! We have some tips to help your survival of the horror that is Frank Dining Hall.

1. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is

survival

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

So don’t eat it. Unless you’re very, very brave.

2. Combine multiple stations

survival

Photo by Erin Munro

Frank intends to serve whole meals at different stations, but more often than not, you will find one good option among three lesser foods.

3. Use your friends as taste testers

survival

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Questioning something? Tell your gullible friend it looks good, and then tell them to try it. If they make a face, you have your work cut out for you.

4. Don’t forget the standbys

survival

Photo by Abigail Salesky

These options will (almost) never disappoint, even on the lowest of Frank days: egg station, salad station, grill station, and desserts. Also, on the lowliest of days: cereal.

5. Long lines are key

survival

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

Now is not the time to avoid long lines. As a general rule of thumb, the longer the line, the better the food. When they have four different kinds of mac and cheese, they’re usually all amazing.

6. Save room for Frank dessert

survival

Photo by Xinwei Zeng

Cupcake Saturdays and Sundae Sundays are real and will save your meal.

7. Remember your options

survival

Photo by Serena Mathew

If you’re a first-year or sophomore, your unlimited meal plan will get you food at the COOP and Donovan’s Pub. Mix it up a little and check out some other food suggestions, like this.

8. Set your expectations low

survival

Photo courtesy of wordpress.com

Especially true if you’re eating at off-hours. Don’t expect a fresh meal at 4 pm–it’s probably the same food that was there at 2 pm.

9. Listen to your peers

survival

Photo by Emily Daniel

Check out what others have to say about being a vegetarian or picky eater in Frank.

10. Be innovative

survival

Photo by Chi Tran

Use what Frank has to your advantage, and don’t be afraid to make mistakes!