Tired of waiting in the Starbucks line on campus for 30 minutes every time you need a caffeine boost? Maybe you're repulsed by pumpkin spice lattes? Or, perhaps, you're trying to make a statement against the capitalistic ideals that Starbucks represents. Whatever your vendetta may be against the coffee giant, living near NYU means that you'll never have to use the words "tall" or "grande" in a cafe again. 

If you are a...

Workaholic...

beer, wine, coffee, ale
Allen Peng

Head over to Spreadhouse Cafe on the Lower East Side to settle down and get your life together. No one ever really gets work done in the WSP Starbucks. Face it, all you really do there is scan the line for your friends, waiting for a distraction. People at Spreadhouse are always doing actual work and are a great source of inspiration for getting you to quit liking memes on Instagram and start studying for your next midterm. Before that, you can pick out a snack, a cup of coffee, and be comfy and productive for a few hours. Oh, and by a "snack", I mean a fluffy donut "imported" from Dough.  

116 Suffolk St, New York, NY 10002

Foodie...

coffee, tea, espresso, beer
Allen Peng

A few blocks away stands Whynot Coffee, which is another great cafe to go to and relax or be productive. The difference? Before you can get to the cashier, your eyes are blessed with rows upon rows of pastries, cookies, and quiches. The flaky croissant sandwiches and the zesty avocado toast will have you forever repulsed by the crumbly, bland paninis at Starbucks. Whynot is super instagrammable, so take plenty of pictures and make your friends sitting in WSP with their PSL's jealous. 

175 Orchard St, New York, NY 10002 

Penny-Pincher...

coffee, beer, tea, pizza
Allen Peng

Serving a variety of caffeinated options at two locations, Fair Folks & a Goat offers a $35/month charge for unlimited coffee, tea, lattes, and lemonade, with only a small surcharge for other items like matcha. Conveniently placed in two locations near NYU, this coffee shop will definitely cut your expenses if you're so done with dropping $25 a week on your Starbucks app. 

But also, 

Shopaholic...

One slight obstacle to your budgeting may be the fact that Fair Folks also runs a boutique in both its shops, so browse at your own risk while waiting in line.

On the bright side, they sell apparel and accessories branded with adorable goats, but also plenty of non-goat-related apparel if that's just not your thing. 

96 West Houston Street, New York, NY 10012

AND

330 East 11th Street, New York, NY 10003 

Romantic...

coffee, espresso, tea
Allen Peng

If you don't immediately fall in love with the adorable set-up at Third Rail Coffee, you'll probably end up swooning when you order from the gorgeous baristas. The shop is on the small side, making it a great stop if you're just passing by or taking a quick break. You may not meet the love of your life here, but it's a cute, cozy place to fantasize about it while recharging for the day. Try the East Village location for a quieter daydream experience. 

240 Sullivan Street, New York, NY 10012 

AND

159 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10003 

Indecisive..

coffee, beer, tea, wine, espresso
Allen Peng

The only thing that might be more stressful than the ridiculous Starbucks lines is the number of drinks to choose from. This next stop may be about 20 minutes away from campus, but it's worth the trek if you're done with trying to figure out what the difference is between a "Chile Mocha" and a "Salted Caramel Mocha". At Ninth Street Espresso, they stick to the basics. Their menu is simple: coffee, espresso, or tea. Dropping by this coffeeshop will be the easiest decision you've made all day. 

700 E 9th St, New York, NY 10009

AND

341 E 10th St, New York, NY 10009