Last week’s meeting featured a selection of great coffees roasted by Portland’s Stumptown and Sweden’s Drop Coffee. The coffee was served alongside a selection of toast made from freshly-baked bread and various combinations of butter, cinnamon sugar, honey, peanut butter, Nutella and jam. Most tasters enjoyed the coffee-toast pairing, though some said the sweetness of the toast sometimes overpowered the sweet notes in the coffee.

Photo by Sharon Cho

This week we will present two new varieties sourced by a past favorite, Portland’s Heart Roasters. The first bean is a Guatemalan Caldelaria Peaberry, with notes of raspberry, red grape, cocoa powder, and molasses. Normally, a coffee cherry contains two seeds that develop side by side, creating the flattened shape of a typical coffee bean. In about 5% of cases, however, only one of the two seeds is fertilized and the coffee bean grows with nothing to flatten it, creating a rounded, oval-shaped bean known as a peaberry. Peaberry beans are preferred by roasters because their round shape allows them to roast more evenly, producing a more consistent flavor profile.

Photo by Sharon Cho

The second coffee from Heart is the Rwandan Cudzu with notes of toffee, mandarin orange and plum. We will perform a side-by-side taste test between the two coffees to compare the Rwandan’s citrus and stone fruit flavor to the Guatemalan’s berry notes. We’ll also test whether the peaberry does in fact produce a more consistent cup of coffee than a standard bean.

Photo by Sharon Cho

As always, stop by the New Hamp lounge Friday afternoon from 3 to 5 pm and end the week on a high note with the Dartmouth Coffee Club!

Photo by Sharon Cho

If you’re interested in Coffee Club, you can blitz us at Dartmouth.Coffee.Club@dartmouth.edu.