Coconut jam is made from coconut milk, eggs, and sugar. It’s popular in Southeast Asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore, and the Philippines. This recipe traditionally uses pandan leaves, which are used to add a layer of flavor and aroma to Southeast Asian foods. 

I've never eaten coconut jam before, so I jumped at the chance to make it. I made it for the first time over the weekend and I was surprised at how quick and easy it was. Honestly, I more surprised at how great it turned out. I was freaking out because I didn't think it came out correctly until I tasted it.

If you're not able to find any pandan leaves, don't fret because they're optional. As a substitute, I sprinkled nutmeg into the saucepan as the jam cooked. Once it's cool, the jam can be refrigerated up to a week. There are plenty of coconut jam recipes out there. so have fun mixing them together. I found another recipe that had cream of coconut as an ingredient so I mixed it with this one.

Easy Kaya Coconut Egg Jam

• 3/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup cream coconut
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 or 3 pandan leaves optional
cream, milk, porridge, sweet, soup
Photo by Alexandria Jones

Combine the milk, cream of coconut, egg yolks, and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan and whisk until smooth.

egg, coffee
    Alexandria Jones

Add the pandan leaves and cook over medium-high for 8-10 minutes. Stir for 8-10 minutes with a wooden spoon until it's thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.

bread, cream, soup, milk, coffee
    Alexandria Jones

Remove the saucepan from the heat and get rid of the pandan leaves. Strain through a sieve into a small bowl or jar. Leave uncovered until cool.

cream, milk, porridge, sweet, soup
    Alexandria Jones