Approaching Kappa Kappa Gamma’s huge, white house on Hill Street could make anyone a little nervous. Was I there to have spaghetti or meet Barack Obama? As I walked in, the smell was instantly reassuring – it was spaghetti, not the president.

I recently attended Kappa’s annual philanthropy event, Kappasta. The formal, Victorian ambience and well-dressed servers (or sisters?) made me feel like I had stumbled into something special – not your average dining hall. After I paid for my ticket, I walked into the dining room, which was filled with long tables and large, never-ending bowls of spaghetti and meatballs. The servers were constantly refilling the bowls with hot, fresh pasta and passing out baguettes and side salads.

The vibe was awesome – a place to mingle with all kinds of students at family-style tables. It was like a big dinner party with a bunch of strangers, but with less awkward small talk. More important than the tasty food and the comfortable atmosphere, the ten dollars I shelled out at the door went directly to Reading is Fundamental (a charity that tutors underprivileged children in Detroit). So next fall, put some delicious spaghetti in your belly and a book in a child’s hands and stop at Kappa Kappa Gamma for Kappasta 2014.
free nike wallpapers