According to William Reed Business Media magazine, About 57% of Americans chew gum on a regular basis. So, chances are you or someone you know has a constant obsession with chewing gum. Maybe you are chewing gum because it tastes good, or maybe you are chewing gum because it is a stress reliever, but how much gum chewing is too much?

chewing gum

If you’re like me, who can sit at a desk for an hour doing homework and go through an entire pack, chewing away your frustration of getting a problem wrong, this should be considered a wake up call. If you feel that it is necessary to purchase a pack of gum every time you are on the check out line at the grocery store because it is only $1.69, stop. Save the money to buy yourself something nice.

chewing gum

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

The Harsh Side Effects of Chewing Gum

ABC News recently reported the following side effects of chewing gum, who would have thought chewing a piece of what seems like nothing could have such consequences:

• Chewing gum may actually increase your junk food intake because the flavor of gum makes sweet fruits and vegetables taste bitter
  • When chewing gum, you swallow excess air, causing gastrointestinal problems, bloating, and smelly farting
  •  Excessive gum chewing may also cause temporomandibular joint disorder, a condition that causes chronic jaw pain
  • Chewing gum can cause tooth decay and cause cavities by breaking down the enamel of the teeth

The Steps to Recovery

You first have to admit to yourself that you are actually addicted. After realizing my problem, I began limiting the amount of pieces I chewed every day. Instead of putting a new piece in my mouth every time I finished a homework problem, I took a drink of water instead.

If drinking water isn’t cutting it for you, and you feel you need to be constantly chewing something, cut up carrots or an apple into small pieces and pop a piece in your mouth when you are frustrated.

I’m not going to lie. It is initially very hard to resist the temptation to chew gum constantly. But research proves that it only takes 21 days to break a bad habit. Break the habit and stop breaking the bank. I did it. You can too.

chewing gum

Gif courtesy of giphy.com.