An oral fixation can range from serious to mild, but more often than not it is defined by the need to chew or suck on something at all times. This kind of fixation can often lead to bad habits including smoking, alcoholism, or nail-biting. A lot of times this fixation leads people to chewing gum, which often leads to other health concerns such as stomach pains and can hinder your metabolism. Regardless of your oral fixation level, these are five alternatives to chew when you need to occupy your jaw.

1. Licorice

oral fixation

Photo courtesy of ohnuts.com

Although this is one of those candies not everyone’s a fan of, its chewy consistency will keep you away from the gum.  It’s kind of an acquired taste, but it will sooth any stomach issues that may plague you.

2. Ginger

oral fixation

Photo courtesy of herbalremediesadvice.org

This stomach soothing anti-inflammatory is perfect to chew on and reap hella health benefits.

3. Sunflower Seeds

oral fixation

Photo courtesy of care2.com

A useful tool for those trying to quit smoking, it’s also a great way to occupy your oral fixation.

4. Parsley

oral fixation

Photo courtesy of lovethegarden.com

Usually seen as the accessory to decorate your meal fresh parsley is also a way to keep your breath fresh and chew on something for a little healthy boost.

5. Mint Leaves

oral fixation

Photo courtesy of stylecraze.com

Similar to parsley, this fresh herb is an awesome thing to chew when you need to relieve your fixation and also get minty-fresh breath.

Stress less about your oral fixation with these alternatives to gum which give you better health benefits and less of the artificial stuff.