Healthy eaters have always preached the benefits of eating oats; they're cheap, easy to make, packed with fiber, low in sugar, and the perfect canvas for toppings. For some reason, the clean-eating craze has not included my favorite iteration of oats, muesli, and that needs to change ASAP.

muesli, oatmeal, wheat, sweet, cereal
Emma Brant

After a month in Switzerland, I knew that I was going to suffer from withdrawal after eating muesli for breakfast every morning. It looks so unassuming. What could possibly be so extraordinary about a blend of uncooked oats, dried fruit, and nuts?

The magic is in the preparation. Because it is so simple, muesli is extremely versatile. You can pair it with milk or yogurt or eat it alone, and it tastes delicious either way. It is also super healthy, packed with complex carbs, fiber, and protein. It will energize you for whatever your day has in store, whether it's hiking the Swiss Alps, attending class, or binge-watching Netflix at home. 

Even if you haven't traveled to Switzerland, I highly recommend incorporating muesli into your breakfast rotation. Here are 3 ways to bring the Swiss Alps to your home.

Traditional Bircher Muesli 

chocolate, muesli, granola, cereal, milk
Ali Goetze

This is like eating yogurt with granola, but with muesli instead. I like to do a 1:1 ratio of muesli to yogurt and top it with crunchy granola, berries, and coconut flakes, but you can do whatever floats your boat. 

I like to eat muesli with yogurt because yogurt is packed with protein, probiotics, and calcium. This is a surefire way to make sure I'm energized for my day, my digestive system stays healthy, and my bones stay strong. Also, the texture of the muesli works really well with the yogurt, and it feels more substantial than just eating oatmeal. 

This is also the traditional Swiss way of preparing muesli, so eating it makes you worldly and cultured, obviously. 

Soaked in Milk

yogurt, milk, cereal, muesli, granola
Ali Astrachan

This is basically Swiss overnight oats, although I've never been able to plan far enough in advance to soak them overnight. In my experience, it's totally sufficient to fill a bowl with muesli, pour in some milk, and just stir them together until you reach your desired consistency. 

If you don't like yogurt or are looking for a breakfast more comparable to oatmeal, this is definitely the way to go. I highly recommend stirring in peanut butter, jam, and/or crunchy granola to add some flavor and textural variety. 

Eating it Plain

Molly Gallagher

No, I'm not suggesting that you eat raw oats plain – it's not like they're poisonous, but that does not sound delicious at all. In Europe, they sell many brands of muesli at the grocery store, and all of them are delicious (Choc'X and Bits is the best, if you were wondering). 

This type of muesli is very similar to American granola, but tends to have more cereal in it. This is the least healthy way to eat muesli, because this style tends to involve sweeteners and chocolate (I'm not complaining). Regardless, it makes a delicious snack and an amazing topping for the other types of muesli I described earlier. 

Whether you've studied abroad in or traveled to Switzerland and miss eating muesli every day or simply want to expand your culinary horizons, you should definitely try to make muesli at home. It is easy to make your own blend, but you can find multiple varieties at the grocery store or online, like this one, this one, and this one