Have you ever been so hungover that you can't move and the mere thought of food makes you gag? I recently found myself in that position after a dive bar crawl. I woke up with a pounding headache and an unquenchable thirst — the walls were spinning as I headed down the stairs. I made my way to the kitchen to find something, anything really, to try and subdue the killer hangover.

Though I was tempted to go for a slice of leftover pizza, I instead decided to go for something a little more satisfying and hydrating, like soup. If you've never had a bowl of pho or ramen when you're feeling hungover, we need to talk.

This time around I had a bone broth from BrothMasters. I'd read about it's excellent health properties such as bolstering your immune system and replenishing electrolytes — which I was definitely in need of at the moment. I decided to see if if could cure my post-party woes. 

Bone Broth has many great health attributes. It's loaded with protein, calcium, and amino acids which can all help put you on the road to recovery. Most hangover side effects can be accredited to dehydration. The magnesium, sodium and potassium are the electrolytes your body needs.

There has been a study that found some bone broth may be contaminated with lead, but those levels still fell well below the EPA limit for tap water. Ultimately, a cup or two of broth a day will cause no adverse health effects.

vegetable
Johnna Green

Now, I know that the thought of healthy foods doesn't really resonate the same way the thought of a super greasy breakfast sandwich does in your current state. Bone broth, however, can be doctored up however you see fit. Alone, it tastes like a watered down soup base, but add some veggies and quinoa and you have a delicious filling meal. 

To use bone broth as my hangover cure, I heated one 16 ounce package of Broth Masters bone broth on the stove, while I chopped a handful of onion, a few baby carrots, and some kale. Once I heated up the broth, I added in the veggies, 3/4 cup of quinoa, and some salt and pepper. After 10-15 minutes of simmering, I added in my kale for an additional 5-10 minutes and voilà!

soup, broth, vegetable, carrot, herb
Johnna Green

Obviously, there is no cure-all for hangovers, but bone broth was definitely a step in the right direction. The combination of warm liquid and the health properties of both the broth and the veggies had me feeling human again. That's without saying my next steps were drinking a gallon of water and taking a two hour nap.