If you’ve been to any Whole Foods Market before, you’ve probably seen the section where plastic bins of nuts, fruits, grains and seeds line the walls. Colorful, shiny, and… somewhat overwhelming.

Fear not. The bulk bins are an incredible resource for college students, and we’re gonna show you how to find everything you never knew you needed.

First thing you should know: it’s a whole lot cheaper to buy in bulk than a package of the same item. (Added bonus: you’ll be saving the environment by producing less waste.) On the flip side, if you only need a tiny amount of an item for a recipe and buying the prepackaged version would just go to waste, again, the bulk bins are your friend.

Navigating these bins may be intimidating at first glance, but once you explore, it’s amazing what you will find.

Pro tip: Whole Foods Market has experts in each store dedicated to helping customers navigate the bulk bins.

Use this guide to get you started and learn how to use the ingredients, too. With help of the nutrition expert at my local Whole Foods Market we came up with this list that college students could explore. By the way, everything on this list all adds up to be under $50, total.

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Blue Agave Syrup  

Why buy?

Agave syrup can be used as a natural sweetener, which means you can use it wherever table top sugar is normally found. Try it in tea, coffee, smoothies, in baking or even over ice cream. It is a plant-based sweetener and a whole lot better for you than the artificial stuff. We filled up almost half a bottle and it only cost $1.36.

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Eat it with:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Almonds

Why buy?

With healthy fats and a low calorie count, you can’t argue against them. Almonds can be used in trail mix and as an everyday snack. But you can use them to make dinner a little more interesting. If you crush up some, add some bread crumbs and coat your next chicken cutlet, you have a whole new way to enjoy an easy dish.

Eat it with:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Couscous

Why buy?

Couscous is great to cook up and put in a veggie salad for an on-the-go meal. Compared to regular processed pasta, cous cous is lower in calories and cooks way faster. Add your favorite diced up veggies, oil, vinegar and salt. Bam, you have a tasty snack for anytime of the day. I bought 1/2 lb which is about almost five servings for only $1.38. I dare you to find a better deal.

Eat it with:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Red Quinoa 

Why Buy?

It isn’t easy for a scientist to call something a super food, so when they do, you have to pay attention. Quinoa is much higher in fiber than most grains, has lots of vitamins, and is especially great for people with a gluten intolerance. Another bonus? You can make it in the microwave. If you put 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups of water in the microwave for 3 minutes and then another 3, staying healthy isn’t as hard as you may think.

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Eat it with:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Spices 

Why buy?

The local nutritionist at Whole Foods Market could not stop raving about their spice selection. Lots of college students get lost in the monotony of salt and pepper. The bulk section is a fantastic way to try out different flavors without having to buy a whole jar.

It’s also cheaper than the jarred stuff. I got more Italian spice that I could use in a lifetime and it cost me a whole 37 cents.

More on spices:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Dates

Why buy?

These big raisiny things are packed with sweetness, but they can be versatile. Throw them on a salad or add some goat cheese to the middle, wrap ’em in bacon and bake them. The bonus is that dates are packed with antioxidants, fiber, iron, and potassium, to just name a few.

Eat up:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Chocolate Chips

Why buy?

The natural chocolate you can find at WFM are healthier and also way cheaper in bulk, so move over Nestle. Dark chocolate is also packed with antioxidants and it can also help reduce stress. As if you need more convincing. At the student grocery store you could pay around $7 for a small 8 oz bag. An 8 oz bag at Whole Foods Market would only be about $4.

Eat up:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Trail Mix

Why buy?

Make your own trail mix from the bulk bins or check out one of WFM’s premade trail mixes available. Among them is my favorite, the “double feature” which includes almonds, cashews, dried cranberries and mini chocolate peanut butter cups.

Similar to most things on this list, buying trail mix in bulk is much cheaper. At the student center a snack bag of trail mix, which is usually only an ounce, would be $2. At Whole Foods Market you could get 16 of those 1 oz servings for only $6.

Eat up:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Butters

Why buy?

Fresh ground peanut butter or pecan chocolate butter. Need I say more? There is just something special about getting it fresh from the grinder and pushing the button yourself. It’s is a little more expensive than Skippy, but it comes without the additives and oils, and you can actually SEE exactly what’s going into your spreads.

Eat up:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Granola

Why buy?

With granola, the possibilities are endless. Make a yogurt parfait, throw it on chia seed pudding, make your own granola bars or toss it on a salad. For a 12 oz bag of Bear Naked Granola, you would pay about $4 at the grocery store. You could get a full pound of granola from the bulk bins for the exact same price.

Eat up:

Whole Foods

Photo by Caroline Grew

Anything Local

Why buy?

Your nearby Whole Foods Market will have local options for you to choose from that will always be worth a try. Pictured, we have honey which can be used in a salad dressing, on Greek yogurt and in your tea. You never know what surprises you may find, so be on the look out for local.

Eat up: