Quotes say a lot about a person, but have you ever considered that they could also say a lot about food? Eating is not just a physical experience; because it’s also incredibly emotional, much has been said about its beauty, its necessity and its place in our lives. I love words almost as much as I love food (English major, whaddup), but if you don’t, I’d suggest reading through these quotes anyway. Aristotle once said “quotes and food are both good for the soul.” Or maybe that was me…
1. “People who love to eat are always the best people.” – Julia Child
As if we didn’t know that already.
2. “Coffee is a language in itself.” – Jackie Chan
“Why, yes, I am bilingual.”
3. “You don’t need a silver fork to eat good food.” – Paul Prudhomme
Exhibit A: This Sriracha burger, which requires the use of both hands.
4. “Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down in the most delightful way.” – Mary Poppins
Why did my mother never do this?
5. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” – Virginia Woolf
Midnight snacks make so much more sense from this perspective.
6. “Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.” – Ernestine Ulmer
Ulmer and I would probably be besties.
7. “What could be more important than a little something to eat?” – A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
Answer: (usually) nothing. Especially if it really is a little something.
8. “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
Check out this article if you’re doubting this ancient physician (which I wouldn’t).
9. “Without ice cream, there would be darkness and chaos.” – Don Kardong
Not to mention, life wouldn’t be worth living.
10. “Food is one of my favorite parts of the day.” – Jennifer Lawrence
Lawrence, Ulmer and I should seriously get together sometime.
11. “Wine is bottled poetry.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
You may want to reconsider not pursuing a degree in English.
12. “First we eat, then we do everything else.” – M.F.K. Fisher
Get yo priorities straightened out.
13. “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then just feed one.” – Mother Theresa
Find just one person to help, and then work your way up from there.
14. “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” – Charles M. Schulz
Or a lot of chocolate, which could be even better than love. Am I right?
15. “There is no love sincerer than the love of food.” – George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman
So much truth in so few words.