Eggs have been a staple for years due to their versatility, quick cooking time, and high protein content. Whether you like them scrambled, over-easy, or sunny side up, eggs are a great addition to any meal. But what about baked eggs and baked egg recipes?

So long as you have an oven, you have baked egg recipes waiting to be discovered, and you certainly don't have to be pigeonholed into just making breakfast foods. Baked eggs are so simple that you can practically add them to any meal, so long as you have the right ingredients.

These baked egg recipes are so delicious and flavorful, I promise you'll want to get cracking right away!

1. Baked Egg in an Avocado

egg, egg yolk
lauren feld

Looking for a way to up the indulgence factor on a plain ol' avocado? Add an egg! Avocados are all over recipes for lunches and dinners—think salads, burgers, toast, etc.—plus they have major health benefits. Link up the protein from the egg with all the healthy fats in the avocado, and you've got a power-packed lunch that'll keep you satisfied until dinner.

2. Baked Eggs in a Portobello 

Vegetarians everywhere can rejoice! Baked egg recipes often incorporate meat–how many burgers have you seen topped with eggs?–but this dish would be perfect for Meatless Monday. This would also be a great option if you're trying to slim down in time for the summer (portobello mushrooms are super low-cal and high fiber).

3. Baked Egg in a Tomato

If there's one thing I haven't been able to get enough of at college it's tomatoes. Weird, I know, but these little fruits are delicious, and really get kicked up a notch once you add an egg. This is one of the easiest baked egg recipes around; just scoop out the middle of the tomato, crack the egg inside, season, and bake. And PS, the yolk porn is unreal.

4. Ham and Egg in a Nest

fried egg, butter, egg yolk, sandwich, ham, bread, croque madame, egg, bacon, toast
Lily Chin

So the eggs and ham may not be green, but this Dr. Seuss-inspired sandwich is one of the more fun baked egg recipes out there! This classic breakfast combo can be for any time of day, as the sandwich is portable and full of protein for all hours. Plus, it'll give you a great excuse to use some fun cookie cutters for the toast.

5. Bibimbap

fried egg, egg
Marlee Goldman

This traditional Korean dish will not only allow you to impress your friends with your culinary skills, but, will also save you loads of money on takeout. This dish includes all kinds of tasty vegetables, and is customizable to every taste. For example, even though the recipe calls for a sunny side up egg, you can totally substitute a baked egg. And if tofu isn't your jam, add some chicken or even some beef.

6. Shakshuka

chili, egg, tomato, vegetable, parsley, pepper
Yair Sakols

If you're looking for baked egg recipes that only take up one pan, shakshuka is going to be your best friend. This is a Middle Eastern classic that blends the best of both worlds with sweet bell peppers, tomatoes, and spicy jalapeños. Plus, if you're not already convinced about trying it, shakshuka goes perfectly with pita bread. Totally worth putting all your eggs in one basket.

7. Spanish Baked Eggs

Whether they're in tortillas de patatas, flan, or served just plain rellenos, the Spanish love their eggs. And somewhere along the line, some genius on the Iberian Peninsula thought to add chorizo into the mix. Quite frankly, we're all the better for chorizo–even if it comes from Chipotle. This recipe is cozy, spicy, and full of meaty goodness. This Spanish major would be down to eat this en cualquier día.

8. Zucchini Egg Cups

Zucchini fries and zucchini noodles are all the rage, but what about zucchini egg cups? This lunch is the perfect, portable way to get your protein in with little to no carbs. Zucchini is nice and crisp which is an amazing contrast to the soft egg. TBH, if I could replace most sandwich bread with zucchini, I totally would.

9. Baked Eggs in Pasta Nests

pasta, spaghetti, egg, vegetable, sauce, spaghetti carbonara
Phoebe Melnick

If you were reading the last entry and had to choke back your horror over a carb-free lifestyle, this type of baked egg might be for you. What do nests and pasta have in common? They're both super comforting, and a perfect place to hold eggs! There's really nothing simpler to cook than pasta, so feel free to whip up this luxurious dish whenever. And don't forget the sauce and shredded Parmesan!

10. Eggs in Ciabatta

How do I love ciabatta? Let me count the ways. I'm a sucker for crusty bread, and something about the crunch of a toasted ciabatta with the soft, runny yolk of an egg is just so right. Plus the beauty of this dish is that it's totally customizable: you can eat it plain, add meat and lettuce to make a sandwich, or even just add bacon bits to make it a breakfast bread. The world is your oyster...or your ciabatta?

11. Baked Eggs and French Fries

egg, french fries
Hayden Pigott

Yo, someone tell McDonald's to get on this stat. All-day breakfast sales would certainly boost if this treat was included on the menu. The warm, salty fries would marry so well with the rich egg, and would provide the perfect utensils to tap into the yolk. Plus, the seasoning possibilities are endless. A truly underrated combo that'll get everyone saying "I'm loving it!"

12. Twice Baked Potato with Eggs

cheese, egg, bacon
Katie Elliott

Looking for something a little less fast food? Potatoes are worth so much more than just fries. Try out this dish if you're on the hunt for baked egg recipes! The potato is a sturdy vessel for all that delicious egg, and baking it twice will ensure a delicious crispy outside. Fill these skins up with whatever you like, and level up your next game day dinner.

13. Baked Egg Pizza

egg, bread, vegetable, toast, dairy product, spinach
Sasha Kran

This one goes out to all of you pizza purists who didn't think your usual slice of 'za could get any better. Eggs, tomatoes, cheese, and bread, have been a classic combination for years, so why not enjoy it as pizza at lunch? Seems unexpected, but it's been right under your nose all along! Just make sure to get your pics for Insta before the rest of your friends dive into the pie.

Baked egg recipes can be found all over, if you're just willing to put in a little extra effort to look for them. Eggs are so delicious that it's an absolute shame to only enjoy them in the morning. With these 13 options, you'll be serving up egg-cellent meals at all hours in no time.