Super Bowl Sunday, one of the greatest American traditions, is the most anticipated game of the year that decides who is truly the best of the best.  And wow was it a good one—I don't think anyone expected that comeback.  

However, my favorite part of the evening has definitely got to be the food.  One day after the Super Bowl and I'm still struggling to button up my pants. From pizza to wings to chips and dip, the options are endless.  

According to the Snack Food Association, Americans consume about 11.2 million pounds of potato chips, 8.2 million pounds of tortilla chips, 3.8 million pounds of popcorn, and 3 million pounds of nuts.  So I had to ask, how many calories does the average American eat on Super Bowl Sunday?  

I'm not sure I even want to know the answer. But, I was curious and had to look it up.  On average, Americans consume 2,400 calories during the 4-5 hours that the game is on TV.  That's more then most people are supposed to eat in one day, and that's not even including the other meals you've already eaten.  After all is said in done, it's roughly 6,000 calories.  That's more than Thanksgiving!  

The break down:

2 slices of pepperoni pizza: 626 calories

5 cans of regular beer: 732 calories

4 chicken wings: 473 calories

1 servings of cheese nachos: 275 calories

1.5 servings of barbecue potato chips: 206 calories

Half a cup of salsa con queso: 179 calories

Half a dozen celery sticks with a tablespoon of ranch: 67 calories

Grand Total: 2,558

Let's be honest, that's totally reasonable. And that doesn't even include the beer. Oops. I think I'll be in a food coma for awhile now.

Check out these awesome recipes for your next Super Bowl or game day party.  Only 362 days to go.