Last Tuesday, Eve Jochnowitz, author of The Vilna Vegetarian Cookbook: Garden-Fresh Recipes Rediscovered and Adapted For Today’s Kitchen, and graduate from New York University, came to the Smathers Library at the University of Florida Campus to speak to students about Jewish vegetarianism.

During her spiel, Jochnowitz informed all of us that we can still have our favorite traditional Jewish foods during the holidays even if we become vegetarians. It’s as simple as replacing ingredients, for example, the dish kreplach, or small dumplings filled with meat, can be made with apples, cabbage, or potatoes instead of ground beef, and still be just as yummy.

The Vilna Vegetarian Cookbook is the English version of Fania Lewando’s Yiddush vegetarian cookbook, published in 1938. Jochnowitz swiftly translates over 400 recipes ranging from appetizing soups, to cholant and delicious dessert recipes that replace foods containing meat with vegetables instead.

Vegetarian

Photo courtesy of theweiserkitchen.com

This book also contains passionate essays written by Lewando about the health benefits of vegetarianism and nutrition. Accompanied by each recipe is a beautifully drawn picture of the dish, filling the pages with colorful foods that are mouth watering.

Bottom line, our Jewish mothers and grandmothers don’t need to do extra schleping in the kitchen to make us vegetarians our special dishes. Whether it’s kugel or schnitzel, Jochnowitz’s cookbook gives you the most tasty alternatives.