I was eating at one of my favorite local Mexican restaurants in Lexington when I realized a lot of people have probably not even tried real, authentic Mexican food. Most people have tried chimichangas, nachos, fajitas, or burritos.

However, it might be surprising to know that those aren't authentic and are considered Tex-Mex; some may be an entirely new invention that came from America, others are a twist to the real authentic food originated in Mexico.

I want to let others discover and enjoy the wonderful food that originates in Mexico, so I have picked out a few great options that give a basic but ideal introduction, as well as where to find them in Lexington. The best part is that most of these dishes taste homemade, so it is definitely a must try. 

Tamales

Made with masa (dough made from hominy), and filled with chicken and salsa, or beans. Some are sweet made with strawberries or pineapple– the options are endless. Although most of these are eaten for basically every festivity, I could never get tired of these. 

Where: Farm Market 

Tostadas

A toasted tortilla topped with refried beans, meat, and vegetables. This can also be eaten with ceviche, a Latin American dish, that would definitely win over your taste buds. 

Where: Tortilleria y Taqueria Ramirez  

Tortas

Basically just a sandwich, but better. Usually these are filled with refried beans, tomato, onion, and a choice of protein such as chicken, or steak. The best ones are made with scrambled eggs and chorizo; they are perfect for any meal of the day. 

Where: Ellos

Tacos

Probably the absolute epitome of Mexican food, there is no way you can try anything else without having one of these first. Prepared with corn tortillas, cilantro, onion, and your choice of meat, these are the real deal.

Where: Tortilleria y Taqueria Ramirez, Taqueria Becerra, Ellos

Sopes

Similar to tostadas, but with prepared with a handmade thick tortilla, these are pretty much small Mexican pizzas you need in your life.

Where: El Rey de Los Pollos y Mariscos 

Coctel de Camaron

This Mexican shrimp cocktail will make you feel as though you were dining at the beach; made with shrimp, tomato juice, ketchup, cilantro, and avocado.

Where: Las Ranas Seafood and Steakhouse

Gorditas

A thick tortilla stuffed with meat, cheese, refried beans, or other fillings. Taking a bite out of this will give you a taste of Mexico. 

Where: Las Ranas Seafood & Steakhouse 

Pozole

A soup with hominy and chicken or pork, topped with lettuce, lime, and radishes that is a traditional Mexican comfort dish. 

Where: Huarache Pizza

Although Chipotle and other Mexican restaurants are still pretty delicious, trying authentic food can broaden your tastes, and it's always good to learn from other cultures. Trust me, a taco from Taco Bell is still bomb, but the taco from Ellos could be an entirely different experience.