Word on the street is that consuming banana peels will kill you. Growing up in Korea, I was the recipient of advice from older ladies in the market. Their advice? Avoid eating banana peels and instead rub the peels on my face to rid of acne. I've yet to try either, but I seriously think the truth needs to be set free. Are banana peels poisonous? This is what science says on the matter.

Are Banana Peels Poisonous?

banana

After some serious Internet-digging, I reached a conclusion: Banana peels are not dangerous.

It's true, however, that most banana peels contain pesticide residue. Pesticides, for those who don't know, are chemicals that farmers use to kill insects and other pests. No worries, though. The United States Department of Agriculture sets pesticide limits for safety, and most fruits (bananas included) don't exceed these limits.

Technically, banana peels are safe to consume, even with pesticide residue. In the American diet, banana peels are usually thought to be inedible. This is due to taste and consistency, not because the peels are actually toxic. Although some will stick to the idea that you should not be eating banana peels, the fact is that these bad boys won't kill you. 

Health Benefits

banana, milk, sweet, smoothie, juice, cream
Katherine Baker

It's no secret that bananas hold a ton of healthy nutrients. It's surprising, however, to learn that these peels (which the majority of people throw away) also contain nutrients.

The actual banana contains lots of goodies like potassium, vitamin C, fiber, and more. The banana peel also contains these nutrients. In addition to potassium, which balances electrolytes and encourages cell growth, banana peels are a great source of magnesium, fiber, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6. By eating the peel, "you get an even bigger boost in these same nutrients."

Consuming The Peel

juice, sweet, apple, banana

If you decide to try the peel, you need to know how to properly eat it. These guys can be eaten raw, but many foreign cultures cook them to make them more palatable. 

Additionally, you can fry, bake, or boil banana peels. You can even try blending a peel into a smoothie. According to Business Insider, heat will break down the skin's fiber and loosen up that tough texture, which makes the peel easier to chew and digest. 

Are banana peels poisonous? No. Are they tasty? Probably not. It turns out people around the world are eating banana peels, and they have been for years. While you don't have to consume the banana and its peel, research says that banana peels hold a ton of nutritional value. If you're feeling frisky, give the peel a try.