My mom is obsessed with apple cider vinegar. Within my first couple weeks of college, I received a huge bottle of apple cider vinegar as a 'care package.' It's her solution to everything. Feeling sick? Apple cider vinegar. Slow metabolism? Apple cider vinegar. Getting acne? Apple cider vinegar. 

The scientific advantages of apple cider vinegar are disputed, but it has been shown to have antibacterial qualities and is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. Regardless of scientific dispute, many people have found that apple cider vinegar has helped clear their skin. After constant protest and a teenage urge to reject everything my mother says, I thought I'd put this magical substance to the test by using apple cider vinegar as my toner for a week. 

apple, juice, cider, vinegar
Ally Golden

To use apple cider vinegar as a toner, mix equal parts apple cider vinegar and water (if you have sensitive skin, use more water). You can put this in a travel size spray bottle, but as I lack the resources I just made this mixture in a cup.

Apply it on a cotton ball or pad and apply as a toner after you wash your face. Wait for it to dry and then apply lotion. I was skeptical about putting this mixture on my face. The smell wasn't my favorite and it tingled a bit when going on. I don't mind the tingle, as I like to think I can feel it working it's magic. 

condiment, beer
Ally Golden

My face smelled slightly like vinegar, but this subsided in a few hours. Within a day, I noticed that my breakouts from traveling over Thanksgiving break had disappeared and my skin was smoother. My skin is usually pretty clear, but it had made my skin smoother and brighter. At the end of the week, I felt like my skin was clear of potential breakouts. 

I don't know if I will officially make this part of my skin routine as I don't enjoy smelling like a salad dressing, but apple cider vinegar is very effective in smoothing skin and getting rid of acne. This is an easy, natural solution to breakouts.