From someone that easily takes for granted how beautiful nature is, spending days on the water offers such a wakeup call. The ocean is this mesmerizing body, almost serving as its own world. A world away from our's but yet so close.  With just one head bob under the surface, you're somewhere else - surrounded by peace and serenity, a perfect place that has moved past the troublesome waves colliding against one another.

My friend describes the ocean as having its own language that everyone just understands.  It has this alluring presence, and it stirs up different feelings for everyone.  One of my friends moved away from the water, so being on the beach always brings back a happy sense of nostalgia, one that brought her to tears of disbelief that she felt finally at home.  Another of my friends who lived on the water her entire life came to the beach and stood in awe at how different the ocean looks from different parts of the world and she was washed with a sense of peace.  The ocean ties people together, offering this beautiful extraordinary unity that cannot be covered by something else.

The ocean cures me, mentally... 

The sound of waves crashing sings me to sleep every night. The rocking of a boat perfectly mimics my toss and turns throughout the night.  The ocean compliments me and how I like to live, teaching me something new about myself every time I'm near it.  It keeps me calm, rids me of my stresses, and inspires me to create. This internal spark that you feel when by the water is not coincidental, it means way more than that. 

"Wallace J. Nichols, a marine biologist, believes that we all have a “blue mind” — as he puts it, “a mildly meditative state characterized by calm, peacefulness, unity, and a sense of general happiness and satisfaction with life in the moment” — that’s triggered when we’re in or near water."

...and physically.

Being on the beach or in the water is a full body experience - touch, taste, sight, smell, and hearing.  Swimming reduces inflammation of muscles, and water creates a feeling of weightlessness, thus soothing the brain and de-stressing the body.  Salt air therapy is known for alleviating symptoms of certain viral infections, allergies, colds, etc.  Sun and UV is rejuvenating for your skin because Vitamin D (but s/o to sunscreen, the real MVP on those hot and sunny beach days).  

With all that being said, drop what you're doing and go to the ocean because it's good for you.  Science says so.