Who doesn’t like brunch? In fact, there is even a scientific reason why we love it. So it’s no surprise that there are countless blogs and Instagram accounts reviewing the best places for all of your sweet and savory brunch desires. Bitches Who Brunch is blog based in DC, Chicago and NYC founded by Cori Sue Morris and Becca Clara Love.

A couple of weeks ago, I was able to interview co-founder Cori Sue about starting the blog, the best brunches in DC and how to build a strong brand.

Brunch

Photo Courtesy of Cori Sue Morris

Spoon: What is the story behind “Bitches Who Brunch”? How did you come up with the idea? 

Cori Sue (CS): Both Becca and I were journalism majors at our respective schools (UNC Chapel Hill for me and Mizzou for Becca). We were living in DC and we noticed that there wasn’t a resource for young DC professionals on where to eat or party in DC. So we started the blog as a creative outlet from our jobs and when Becca asked what should we name it, I said “We’d be the Bitches Who Brunch of course”.

Spoon: When did you realize that Bitches Who Brunch was something you could monetize and that it was becoming something bigger?

CS: Restaurants started noticing that they would get a bump in revenue after we reviewed them. So we started to have restaurants invite us to sample the brunch. We monetized the blog like you would monetize a magazine. It was very exciting and it grew naturally. We always wanted to keep the editorial integrity there.

Brunch

Photo courtesy of Cori Sue Morris

Spoon: With three locations and many writers, how do you keep a consistent voice? 

CS: All the girls get a handbook when they’re hired and there are quarterly trainings on editorial updates, best practices for the brand and business, social media, and everything else as it relates to the business, brand and blog. But each girl has her own voice within the brand.

Spoon: What are your biggest tips for building a brand?

CSKnowing from the get go who you are and your audience is. You also need to know exactly what you want to do and what you want to give to your readers. There has to be a need that you can fulfill. For example, our top line is: we tell “you where to brunch, what to wear, and where to party in New York, Chicago, and Washington, DC” We make it hyper-local and make it about the millennial. There is a purpose to each of our posts. We also make sure that each of our posts follows the journalism principles, AP Style, that they are easy to read and they are all highly edited. Lastly, one should not start a blog with the intent of making money off of it or it’ll never work.

Spoon: How do you keep creating new and exciting content for your readers? And what is the future of Bitches Who Brunch?

CS: There is always a need for a great review from a friend. DC and Chicago are growing like crazy, and there are tons of spots in New York so we will never run out of restaurants to try. As for the future, right now expanding to Boston is on our horizon. But we get applications and emails from girls across the country asking if they can write for their city. We would like to find a way to grow into more cities a little more quickly.

Brunch

Photo courtesy of Cori Sue Morris

Spoon: What is your favorite part about your job?

CS: The food and the people. We have an amazing team of girls who do amazing things with events and partners. I love being able to help them grow professionally.

Spoon: How has the DC food scene changed since you started the blog?

CS: At the beginning, it was mostly stuffy and more formal steakhouses. Then came in the farm to table restaurants across the city. Even now there are still not of affordable options, but we are getting there with places like Sweetgreen, Cava and Beefsteak. There is also more diversity and cuisines than ever before. You can find almost every type of food and various price points, but I wish that there were more sushi places, pizza joints, juice bars and inventive coffee shops.

Spoon: What is the best brunch in DC for college students?

CS: If you have a sweet tooth then Ted’s Bulletin is the way to go. For bottomless brunch go to Bar Charley, and if you’re looking for something more ethnic than go to Ocopa. Parents in town? Try out Fiola MareBlue Duck Tavern or Le Diplomate.

Brunch

Photo courtesy of Cori Sue Morris

Spoon: If you could brunch with anyone (living or dead) who would it be?

CS: My favorite writers: Hemingway and Fitzgerald.

Spoon: What are the dishes that all college students should know how to make for brunch?

CS: Overnight french toast (we have a recipe on our blog) and a frittata because they are so easy to make and they have a lot of servings.

If you live in DC , NYC or Chicago, or if you’re planning a visit, then you need to check out Bitches Who Brunch. They provide honest reviews on where to get brunch, what to wear and where to party. Cori Sue was a delight to interview and I can’t wait to read her next review.