Walking into Whole Foods, you see all the healthy food and make a pact to yourself that you are going to eat healthier and cook more meals for yourself. But then, you walk down the chips and crackers isle and you think of all the delicious snacks you could buy…

Let’s admit, snacking is a favorite pastime for many college students, or maybe its just me. Snacks are great and snacks from Whole Foods make the pastime even better. However, it’s hard to not spend half your savings account on groceries at Whole Foods.

I went on a two hour hunt in Whole Foods to find every snack under $4. While there is the plentiful bulk section of Whole Foods, I tried to pick out the more underrated snacks for this list. After my expedition, I sampled many snacks and these are the top picks.

Kale Popcorn

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

This is a personal favorite. When I first opened the bag, I wasn’t sure how I felt about kale flavored popcorn. But when I found myself eating half the bag in one sitting, I decided that this is a pretty solid snack. However, if kale popcorn isn’t your thing, there are plenty of other delicious flavors of popcorn to choose from.

Veggie Chips

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

This is a favorite in my family. Usually we open a bag and finish it in less than an hour. I mean, how could you not? If it makes you feel any better, these chips are made up of baked Parsnips, Sweet Potatoes, Taro, Yucca, and Batata (which is a Cuban Sweet Potato). So basically you’re eating a bag of vegetables.

Baked Peas

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

This is another snack that can easily be finished in one sitting. Its crunchy, salty and surprisingly addicting.

Chocolate Filled Crepes

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

Six chocolate filled crepes for less than the price of a medium latte. What else do you need in life?

#SpoonTip: Heat the crepe in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to get that fresh-off-the pan taste.

Edamame

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

Edamame is a great go-to snack. If you’re like me, and have to force yourself to find a snack that is not all carbs, edamame is a good replacement. And with 17 grams of protein per serving, it has a little more sustenance than chips.

Ice Cream

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

This mini 5 oz ice cream is perfect for a midnight snack, a mid afternoon snack, or maybe evening a midmorning snack?

Samosas

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

Who knew Whole Foods’ samosas were so affordable? A samosa is a fried Indian pastry with a savory filling of a combination of potatoes, onions, peas and lentils. These are great when you want something a little more gourmet than a bag of chips, but still requires very little effort and cooking skills.

Multigrain Tortilla Chips

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

This is a healthy version of the classic tortilla chip because it contains brown rice and chia seeds. I tried the lime flavor and being a huge fan of the Tostitos chips, I thought these were on par with the popular lime flavored chips.

Bonus: Bark Thins

whole foods

Photo by Jillian Connolly

Apparently, this snack is not typically under $4, but I noticed it was on sale so I couldn’t resist adding it to the list. It is dark chocolate bark with almonds or other toppings. There are multiple flavors like dark chocolate with with mint or dark chocolate with pumpkin seeds. This stuff is fantastic. I’m a huge fan of the Blueberry with quinoa crunch and the Coconut with almonds. Look for it when it’s on sale because this chocolate bark is definetly worth a try.

So next time you’re hunting for tasty snacks on a budget, check out this list for some ideas. Happy snacking!