Kale, quinoa, chia seeds, matcha – the list of superfoods goes on and on. Each of these “magic” foods boasts endless health benefits ranging from immunity-boosting antioxidants to providing more potassium than bananas. Now, it’s time to put goji berries at the top of the trendy superfood list.

You may be wondering, what in the world is a goji berry anyways? Native to China, these tiny red berries are the most nutrient dense fruit on earth. In fact, we rounded up nine health reasons why you should be adding goji berries to your trail mix instead of those *basic* raisins.

1. Improve Athletic Performance

Goji Berries

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Get that bikini body you’ve always wanted. One study found that consuming goji berries for two weeks increased overall energy level and athletic performance. Drop that Red Bull and pick up some goji berries.

2. Packed with Protein

Goji Berries

Photo by Jennifer Davis

These tiny treats contain the highest concentration of protein of any fruit, including 18 essential amino acids. Take that quinoa.

3. Filled with Iron

Goji Berries

Photo by Spoon University

One serving of goji berries provides 15% of your daily need for iron, which is essential for distributing oxygen throughout your body. That’s even more iron than spinach.

4. Fight Cancer

Goji Berries

Photo by Jennifer Davis

One study conducted in China showed that goji berries, when combined with chemotherapy, increased rates of cancer regression (AKA goodbye, cancer) when compared to just chemo alone.

5. Help You Sleep Better

Goji Berries

Photo by Judy Holtz

Scientists have shown that goji berries not only improve quality of sleep, but make it easier to wake up in the morning. Now you have no excuse not to wake up for your 8 am lecture.

6. Aid Digestion

Goji Berries

Eating a handful of goji berries has been shown to improve gastrointestinal functions, aiding in digestion. They’re basically all-natural Tums.

7. Boost your Immune System

Goji Berries

Photo by Analiese Trimber

Goji berries have been shown to boost your immune system by inhibiting bacteria and viruses from attaching to your cells, stopping infections of all kinds.

8. Sharpen Eyesight

Goji Berries

Photo by Elizabeth Tadie

Like carrots, goji berries contain an antioxidant that protects the eyes from ultraviolet rays, reducing the likelihood of cataracts and improving overall eyesight.

9. Lower Stress

Goji Berries

Photo by Katie Spitler

These magical berries have also been shown to reduce stress and boost overall mood by increasing feelings of happiness and calmness. Relax. Eat some goji berries.