I just had the 19th Thanksgiving of my life a few days ago, and it went just how I expected it would. It was an all day event consisting of hours of making the food, consuming the food within 20 minutes, and awkwardly interacting with family members that I didn't want to talk to.

Don't get me wrong. I love Thanksgiving, but I'm mostly just there for the delicious Thanksgiving food that is not caf food and that someone else made for me. Honestly, even though I love my family, I came to the realization this year that I might love Friendsgiving even more. 

Not convinced? Here are 9 reasons why Friendsgiving is better than actual Thanksgiving:

1. You don't have to listen to the same stories over and over again.

I'm sorry great-uncle Joe, but I don't want to hear for the millionth time about how when you were a child you had to walk 5 miles to school in a blizzard. Believe it or not, my life is hard too: Sometimes the WiFi on my phone doesn't work.

2. You don't have to pretend to like your family.

You might like the majority of your family, but every family has at least a couple people that you dread to see at each family get-together. There's your racist cousin, your critical aunt, and your grandpa who smacks his lips every time he takes a bite to name a few.

Blood may be thicker than water, and I love my family, but that doesn't mean I want to see them for an extended period of time.

3. You can wear whatever you want.

Get ready to break out your turkey pants because you're about to double-fist mashed potatoes into your mouth.

You don't have to dress up for your friends. These people have probably seen you passed out on the couch after a few too many shots or a crying hot mess after your boyfriend broke your heart yet again. So whether your Friendsgiving is formal or casual, you're not going to bring dishonor on your friends by showing up in sweatpants.

4. Friendsgiving is whenever you want it to be.

Just as long as it's in the month of November, Friendsgiving can be whenever you want. It's not just confined to the dinner of the fourth Thursday of the month. Friendsgiving is structured to fit around you and your friends' schedules and appetites: breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, you name it.

5. You don't have to eat every single dish.

sweet, pastry, pie, cake, bread

Unpopular opinion: I think pumpkin pie is the bane of the earth. But of course when one of my cousins brings pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving, I'm obligated to try it. Otherwise, she'll keep asking me why I haven't eaten it. With my friends, I'm not afraid to say that I'd rather not.

6. Your friends are in on all of your inside jokes.

Bucket, Butterball turkey, and what do you mean? To any other person this is just a random list of words, but your friends know that these words are part of some of the funniest moments in your life. 

7. You probably like your friends because they are your friends.

You're not forced to hang out with these people. You actually chose your friends because you like them.

Unless they fake, but then you probably fake too.

8. You get to listen to a banging playlist.

There might not even be any music playing at actual Thanksgiving. *gasp* But you know for sure that at least 1 of your friends will have a bumping playlist, and you're ready to whip out all of your dance moves. 

9. There's no shame in getting wasted.

You can get drunk out of your mind with no judgment. Okay, there might be a little bit of judgment and a lot a bit of pictures that your friends will post on Instagram the next day because they hate you (in the most loving way possible). But they're probably all drunk too, and you've seen each other at your worst, so it's all good.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving because after all they are your family, and they probably really love you. But be thankful for your friends because they're the family you chose.