We live in an era where online dating is a thing. Some people hate it, but maybe they just aren't getting enough right swipes. So when that special someone you meet on Tinder comes over, you need to be prepared so he or she knows that Netflix is actually on the itinerary and it's not just lingo, if indeed that's your plan. So here is a list of nine food options and what messages they can send to your match.

Garlic

gif Courtesy of mgworld4.tumblr.com

Do I have to spell it out for you? Garlic is guaranteed to turn that Tinder date into a handshake-only kind of charade. Extra garlic pizza may be delicious, but the date stops there. There's no intimate conversation, and you are guaranteed not to kiss on the first date, which may or may not work to your advantage.

Alcohol

GIF courtesy of logotv.com

I wouldn't do this one under any circumstance for a first encounter. The obvious reason is people can be sketchy in worst-case scenarios on these dating apps. Besides that, if you're just meeting someone, don't show them how much of a lightweight you are (save that for the third date).

Popcorn

popcorn, sweet, milk, corn, caramel, kettle corn, butter
Vernell Dunams

Everyone by now knows that Netflix and chill doesn't involve watching Game of Thrones, but it can involve recreating a few scenes from Game of Thrones. Well, all Tinder dates don't have to be Netflix and chill dates. Adding popcorn is a good way to show that you're in it strictly for the Netflix and not the chill.

Italian Food

pasta, sauce, spaghetti
Vernell Dunams

You'll have the same problem as with garlic, but if you cook your date Italian food, they'll know just how classy you are and this might spark something interesting. Italian food is so stereotypically romantic, and a Tinder date that includes romance is, as Shakespeare puts it, "to have honey as a sauce to sugar."

Espresso

coffee, tea, espresso, cappuccino, milk
Vernell Dunams

A huge no-no in the world of sporadic dating. If you're having an espresso, chances are you're expecting to be super anxious and jittery, and the anxiety of this date paired with a beverage-induced anxiety is not cute. Even if the date occurs at a coffee shop, order a smoothie or something light like an herbal tea. This way you'll look super hipster.

Chips

sweet, chocolate, dairy product, milk, candy
Vernell Dunams

I love chips, so for that reason I use them to test my compatibility with a suitor. So if you have a bowl of chips and your date is hogging them, it's not going to work. You need a guy or girl who almost never eats chips because despite cheesy movie break up lines, wanting different things (especially chips) is a good thing.

Any snack with a little heat

pepper, chili, condiment, herb
Vernell Dunams

I'm from New Orleans, so naturally my love of all things with two more teaspoons of spice than is required is pretty strong, and if someone I'm with can't handle spice it just won't work. Try to ease your Tinder match into something spicy, and see if he or she is a wimp or not.

Takeout

GIF courtesy of amc.com

Don't do it! There's a reason takeout and make-out are only separated by a letter. Takeout is so casual that your date will begin to feel really familiar, and trust me, if someone feels familiar on a first date only disasters can come from it. It's like skipping the thrill of a first date, and going straight to the "we spend all of our time together, and it's starting to be annoying" stage.

Dessert

chocolate, coffee, cream
Vernell Dunams

Can you guess if this is a Tinder date do or don't? Well, if you guessed that it's a don't, then you're a smart cookie. Why is it a don't, you may ask? Well, it's simple. It's a Tinder date, so why would you have dessert twice?