Just because you’re sleeping outside doesn’t mean you have to eat like it’s the season finale of Survivor. Try these 9 upgraded versions of classic s’mores to take your night from grunge to gourmet.

1. Parent Trap

campfire

Photo by Kelly McAdam

Oreos + marshmallows + peanut butter
You may not find your long-lost twin, but your taste buds will find their match with this movie-inspired combo. Split an Oreo and discard lick away the filling, spread with peanut butter, and put your toasted marshmallow in the middle.

2. Johnny Appleseed

campfire

Photo by Kelly McAdam

Apple-cinnamon graham crackers + marshmallow + caramel + apple slices
Keep things natural by honoring the guy who invented apple trees. Or something like that. Flavored Graham crackers complement your apple slices, giving this campfire treat a fruity crunch that Johnny himself would love.  The tin can hat is optional.

3. Girl Scout

campfire

Photo by Kelly McAdam

Graham cracker + marshmallow + Thin Mints
A minty touch freshens up this version of classic s’mores. Bonus points for the already minty breath if the Girl Scout in you finds herself a Boy Scout to match.

4. Tropical

campfire

Photo by Ericka Sanchez

Graham cracker + marshmallow + chocolate + mango slices
Swap pine trees for palm trees and give your campfire an island theme.  A super dark, bittersweet chocolate will work well with the mango.  Don’t be afraid to take this tropical theme all the way and forget the campfire and roast your mallows over tiki torches to really commit.

5. Maine Classic

campfire

Photo by Kelly McAdam

Graham crackers + marshmallow + chocolate + blueberries
Maine is basically the Mecca of summer camps, so if you’re in state lines, you’re practically required by law to have a campfire and s’mores night. Take advantage of Maine’s blueberry population and add some freshly picked berries to your s’mores.

6. Strawberry Shortcake 

campfire

Photo courtesy aspicyperspective.com

Shortcake + marshmallows + strawberry slices + chocolate
Put a little Martha Stewart in with your Bear Grylls with this domestic twist to your s’mores. Swap crackers for shortcakes and throw in sliced strawberry to add some color to your cookout.

7. Banana Stuffed S’mores

campfire

Photo courtesy neighborfoodblog.com

Banana + chocolate + graham cracker pieces + mini marshmallows
Make your s’mores a portable affair by cramming them inside a banana. It’s easy: just peel, scoop, and stuff. Use crushed up graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips for maximum s’mores-ing.

8. Inside-Out S’mores Lollipop

campfire

Photo courtesy catiescorner2.blogspot.com

Crushed graham crackers + marshmallow + chocolate
For a hands (and mess) free experience, dip your toasted marshmallow in melted chocolate and roll it in crumbled graham crackers. Step aside, Starbucks, the s’mores pop beats the cake pop any day.

9. S’mores Pie

campfire

Photo courtesy howsweeteats.com

Cookie dough + marshmallows + chocolate
This last option is for the true diva who literally can’t even step outside for her s’mores. Bake cookie dough into a pie mold, fill with pieces of chocolate, top off with a layer of marshmallows, and bake for 5 more minutes for a three-layer s’mores pie. And if even that’s too much, just give up and go to Così for their famous tabletop s’mores.

So the next time you go camping, don’t settle for the vanilla ice cream of s’mores. Get creative and use these recipes to revamp the campfire.  The last thing to remember is the golden rule of marshmallows: lightly toast it or burn it to a crisp.  There is no in-between.

Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?

campfire

Design by Amber Chen

Now that dessert’s figured out, here are s’more ideas to revamp the rest of your campfire meal: