Prom is one of the most magical nights of your high school career. It takes weeks to pick out the perfect dress and hours to get ready. Then getting the perfect picture with your date is a must. You may be tempted to grab a bag of Cheetos on your way out of the house, but before you know it, your gorgeous gown will be tinted orange in more areas than one. Instead, grab these simple snacks to keep you fueled for a night of dancing without the disastrous mess.

1. Mixed Raw Nuts

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

We all know that the best bites of trail mix are the M&M’s. However, on prom night, it may be best to leave them behind. For one, chocolate candies melt all over the hands of anxious high schoolers and could be subconsciously wiped on your dress. Plus, all the salt on roasted nuts will leave you bloated and constantly searching for the nearest water fountain.

2. Dried Fruit

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Fresh fruit is always a great, healthy option, but some varieties may be dangerous. Blackberries and raspberries can easily squirt juice all over your dress and oranges leave your hands sticky. Dried fruit is easy to pack in your purse because it won’t bruise and squish everywhere. Plus, your dress will be saved from the vibrant colors of various fruit juices.

#SpoonTip: Fruit and vegetable chips would also be a great substitute.

3. Pretzels/Popcorn

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Cheetos are by far one of my favorite chips, but their famous orange dust can be deadly when you’re sporting your brand new gown. Basic pretzels or popcorn (without butter or cheese of course) can satisfy your salty cravings without leaving you covered in cheese powder.

4. Fruit Snacks

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Fruit snacks are another great grab-and-go snack in that they usually come pre-packaged. They also rarely secrete the same dyes as their rival fruity candies, such as Skittles, and they don’t leave your mouth stained blue, like Airheads and Jolly Ranchers. Some varieties are even considered more natural than candy, which helps you maintain that smokin’ figure.

5. Vegetable Sticks

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Vegetables are one of the best snacks you can reach for. Their high water content keeps you hydrated without the unnecessary calories. Carrots, peppers, cucumber, and sugar snap peas are all great options, just make sure to skip the messy ranch dip.

6. Annie’s Bunny Crackers

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Prom is, in fact, one giant party, so it’s natural to want to celebrate with some cookies. However, grandma’s fresh baked chocolate chip cookies or dusty Oreos will leave your dress in distress. These bunny crackers are bite-sized, come in three flavors, and are safe to eat. Plus, they’re pretty darn cute.

7. Cheerios

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Cereal is one of my favorite midnight snacks, which makes it perfect for the late hours of prom. Cheerios, Life, Frosted Flakes and more will satisfy your crunchy cravings. Just be sure that there’s no chocolate dust that could be sprinkled all over your dress.

8. Clif Bars

Snacks

Photo by Emma Brant

Granola bars aren’t just for hiking. Clif Bars along with other varieties are safe choices for a quick prom snack, as long as there’s no peanut butter or chocolate coating involved. Those delicious glazes can easily melt into disastrous pools of liquid stains.

Add these awesome snacks to your prom checklist to save you from the stress of stains. But make sure to bring extras, because you and all your friends will be starving by the end of the night. With a bag full of foolproof nibbles, you’ll easily be voted prom king or queen.