With the arrival of a new semester, college students tend to focus on back to school problems such as which courses give easy A's and whether or not to skip class on certain days. What most people tend to neglect is their health. We all have our #healthgoals, but let's face it — reality hits and mid-way through the semester, we start to turn to late night pizza and ramen noodles for fuel.

Neglecting your health as a student can be detrimental to your day to day life, so rather than resorting to these late night meals, it's important to set up a simple game plan that will put your health as a priority in college

1. Always Eat Breakfast

breakfast, pouring milk, milk, Cheerios, cereal

Whether you're a morning person or not, eating breakfast is crucial when it comes to starting your day off right. Whether you're a granola bar person or basic avocado toast gal, find something that works for you. If your excuse is that you don't have time in the morning, consider preparing breakfast the night before. Even though this seems like a chore, remember — your health is a priority! 

#SpoonTip: Consider these on-the-go breakfast ideas for when you wake up 5 minutes before class.

2. Wake Up at the Same Time Everyday   

girl in bed, napping, nap, sleeping, sleep, blanket, bed, pillow, cake

Rather than focusing on getting 8 hours of sleep a night (because, let's face it — nobody gets that much sleep as a college student) as a back to school goal, focus on waking up at around the same time every morning.

Look at your weekly class schedule and find a time that works for you. If you have classes later in the day, strive to still wake up in the earlier hours and find a good morning routine to jump-start your day and get you energized for class.

3. Buy Food Staples at the Grocery Store

vegetable
Zoe Zaiss

Rather than eating out for all of your meals, start buying staple foods that will last you many meals once you're back to school. Food staples can include things like oatmeal, rice, frozen fruit and vegetables, nuts, etc. Stock your apartment or dorm with healthy options that will last and keep you from ordering a box of late-night pizza.

4. Snack Smart

nut butter nation, Fruit, healthy snack, snack, PB, peanut butter, apple, apple slice

Along with keeping food staples in your kitchen, keep healthy snacks on hand to bring to class if you don't have time to prep meals. The cardinal rule is to pair a protein and healthy carb together. Think of things like apples and peanut butter, nuts and dried fruit, cheese and whole grain crackers — the list goes on.

#SpoonTip: Here's a list of other healthy snacks to potentially pair together.

5. Hydrate Before You Caffeinate 

cappuccino, milk, espresso, coffee
Kelsey Emery

We all crave that hot cup of morning coffee after that painful all-nighter, but coffee can cause dehydration since it acts as a diuretic. Always make sure to drink a glass of water before you reach for that cup of caffeine.

6. Do Something Physical Everyday

fitness, water, Sneakers, hydration, hydrate, gym, Work Out, exercise, music, motivation, working out, Exercising
Denise Uy

Whether it's running twice a week, stretching for 10 minutes right as you wake up, or taking a walk at night, aim to move your body daily. Walking to class can already be a struggle, but try and incorporate a little more movement into your everyday lifestyle, even if it's an additional 10 minutes. Your body is more capable than it seems! 

7. Don't Drink Empty Calories

ice, wine, soda, liquor, alcohol, beer
Herman Li

We've all heard of eating empty calories, but you can oftentimes drink them as well. Soda, alcohol, and juice (and yes, even those juice cleanses) contain sneaky sugars that you really don't need. Try these other beverage alternatives if you can't quite get rid of that soda habit.

8. Start a non-food related habit

pasture, vegetable
Daniela Doncel

Whether it's reading for 15 minutes a day, practicing yoga, going on a walk, or setting aside 30 minutes of your day without technology — incorporate a habit that will help you relax. College is no doubt a stressful period of anybody's life, but you can find creative ways to combat stress and get through your day successfully.

Although these tips may seem simple, that's the point! The daily struggles of student life catch up to us, but starting small by incorporating these simple habits can do much more in the long run than you think. Here's to a happy and healthy new school year.