Saratoga Apple in Schuylerville, New York is a fall staple. Just a short 20 minute drive from Skidmore, it’s the perfect place to go on a Saturday afternoon. Although they are open year round, autumn is the perfect time to go. Here are eight reasons why you should head to Saratoga Apple ASAP.

1. U-Pick Apples

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Karen Nolan

From the beginning of September to the end of October, Saratoga Apple Inc has opened their orchard for you to pick your own apples. Check out this guide to see what types of apples are ready when you go. The trees are covered in apples but they won’t be for long so get ’em before they’re gone. 

2. Great Prices and Options

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Ruth Ferree

To enter the orchard all you need to do is go to the register and choose a bag that suits your apple picking desires. You can get one bag that can hold about 10 lbs of apples for only ten dollars, or a larger 20 lb bag that can be shared between two people for 20 dollars (you can never have too many apples).

3. Hayrides

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Ruth Ferree

There’s nothing like a good hayride to get you in the mood for fall. Hayrides to and from the orchard are provided on weekends (assuming the weather is good), and are super convenient when you’ve been carrying around 20 pounds of apples for the better part of an hour.

4. Easy Snacking

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Ruth Ferree

An apple a day keeps the doctor away right? Set aside your bag of chips and eat an apple instead! You can tell your parents you’re eating something healthy, plus they’re a convenient snack to grab on your way to class. (Fun fact: apples are good for your teeth).

5. Fresh Produce

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Ruth Ferree

In addition to the pounds of apples you’ve picked, you can also choose from a variety of  fresh fruits and veggies from the orchard store.

6. Pumpkins

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Rachael Sprague

Get in the spirit of autumn and embrace the spice that has found its way into your cookies and coffee, by decorating your room with a fresh pumpkin for Halloween. Saratoga Apple has many different sizes, and some are even painted.

7.  You can show off your cooking skills

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Karen Nolan

There are only so many ways you can eat raw apples before it gets boring. Mix it up a little and make baked apples in your microwave or you could get fancy and bake a pie. Everybody loves pie.

8. Cider donuts

Saratoga Apple

Photo by Karen Nolan

We all know the real reason you’re going to go to Saratoga Apple. Cider donuts. Arguably the best part of fall, all donuts are made fresh, and you can even watch them being made. Saratoga Apple also sells a variety of other wonderful baked goods like cookies and pies. Go ahead, treat yo’ self.