As children of the ’90s, we had the best drinks growing up. I don’t see any reason to stop drinking them once we become adults. Sometimes you want a cocktail, but you are craving your favorite lunchtime beverage. Not to worry, the answer is to take your that childhood drink and turn it into a cocktail.

These recipes are perfect for those moments where you need to let your inner kid out. So, grab your favorite childhood beverage, alcohol, your favorite ’90s/’00s tunes and let the nostalgia sink in.

1. Dirty Shirley

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

This is something you can actually order in a bar (usually accompanied by major judgement from the bartender). Essentially, it is a Shirley Temple spiked with either vodka or rum. Pick your poison and start sippin’ on this simple, yet delicious drink.

2. Hawaiian Punch Rum Punch

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

No school party was complete without some Hawaiian Punch. To make this punch adult-friendly, add white rum, dark rum, grenadine and a splash of cranberry juice. Kick it on the beach and reminisce about the good old days. If you’re feeling fancy, add some fresh fruit on top.

3. Yoohoo Martini

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Who doesn’t love a chocolate martini? Just add equal parts vodka and Yoohoo, shave some dark chocolate as a garnish, and you’re set. Who ever said chocolate milk couldn’t be fancy?

#SpoonTip: If you want to make this even more sophisticated add half a shot of your favorite liqueur. Amaretto or Frangelico are personal favorites. 

4. SunnyD Sunrise

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Tequila is the ultimate college alcohol. When you’re tired of taking shots, try out this version of a Tequila Sunrise. Replace the OJ with some Sunny D, add grenadine, tequila, and prepare for a blast from the past.

5. Apple-juice-tini

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

Apple juice is the quintessential kids’ drink. Take this simple beverage up a notch by adding some apple schnapps and vodka. Shake it all up and strain. It’s basically adult apple juice. Serve in a juice box for maximum nostalgia.

#SpoonTip: Take this even further by adding some elderflower liqueur and fresh sliced apples. 

6. HiC Wallbanger

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

This drink sounds sophisticated and complicated, but it is essentially glorified orange juice. Swap out the OJ for some HiC and mix at a 6 to 3 ratio with vodka. Add one part Galliano (an herbal liqueur) to top it off.

#SpoonTip: Since chances are you don’t have Galliano, you can substitute it for any anise/licorice flavored liqueur. Absinthe anyone?

7. Kool-aid Margarita

childhood

Photo by Andrea Leelike

No childhood was complete without Kool-Aid. The best thing about Kool-Aid, and margaritas, is that they come in many flavors. Choose your favorite flavor, add a shot or two of tequila, a splash of Triple Sec (if orange goes with whatever flavor you chose), lime juice and a pinch of sugar. Shake, pour over ice, add a lime wedge and enjoy.