Summertime means picnic time, which means it’s time for us to think more about what kind of cheeses we want to eat this summer. Even if picnics aren’t your thing, you need to try these underrated cheeses this summer because, well, cheese in small portions can be good for you, and everyone knows cheese lovers are the best kind of lovers.

So, don’t settle for cheddar or Brie or chèvre, the usual suspects, but rather take on the daunting cheese section at your local supermarket and try something new. Grab a baguette and some fruit, expand your horizon, and cut the cheese.

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of pexels.com

1. Feta 

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Feta, a tangy, sharp, and creamy cheese often reserved for salads, trumps its cousin chèvre this summer. Feta is also pretty good for you and won’t leave you feeling all gross in the summer heat.

2. Parmigiano-Reggiano

underrated cheeses

Photo by Poppy Ellard

Although this salty cow’s milk cheese is usually only used for topping pasta, Parmigiano-Reggiano is actually a great summer cheese. I think it’s about time you step away from the grater and slap a slab of this cheese onto a cracker. 

3. Burrata 

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of @burratagram on Instagram

Burrata, while not exactly underrated, is mozzarella’s creamier and richer cousin and still deserves a spot on this list. Why go for plain, old mozzarella when you can just have a better version of it?

4. Pecorino Romano

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of pexels.com

This sheep’s cheese holds a place close to my heart. When I studied abroad in Florence, Italy, there was a panini shop across the street from my campus and almost every day I got a panino of Pecorino Romano and olive tapenade. Not only is this cheese delicious, it also pairs well with all things grilled, making it an ultimate summer cheese option. 

5. Sandre Andre

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

This cheese is basically a much creamier version of Brie that’s super rich and buttery and damn delicious. You can find it at Trader Joes, too, so what are you waiting for?

6. Cambozola

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Think creamy camembert crossed with flavorful gorgonzola. This cheese is the perfect mix of blue cheese funk and creamy cheese richness, perfect for the summer and if you’re still trying to figure out if blue cheese is your thing.

7. Gouda

underrated cheeses

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

Smoked and meaty or aged and tangy, this cheese is a summer staple, hearty enough to be the backbone to any great picnic. Also try using aged gouda in your next grilled cheese sandwich to kick things up a notch.