Summer may be coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean we can’t continue to celebrate the season even as we make the long anticipated (and often dreaded) transition into the fall months. There are ways to keep the final days of warmth and cheer alive, and maintain the state of bliss we’ve acquired over the past few weeks.

One great way, the best way really, to extend summertime is through food—enjoying foods that are in season can keep you in your summer mindset a little bit longer. Not to mention such fruits and vegetables are more full of flavor at the end of their season than the rest of the year, and you don’t want to miss out.

So, next time you’re at the grocery store, look for the following produce to liven up your cooking and relieve you of your end-of-summer blues.

1. Tomatoes

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

There’s nothing quite like an August tomato—overflowing with juices, bright red in color all throughout, and so flavorful that it’s best eaten on its own (or with a pinch of salt and pepper). You might also enjoy tomatoes on toast with just a bit of butter or wedged between fresh Buffalo mozzarella cheese and garnished with basil.

2. Blueberries

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

If you haven’t done so yet, be sure to add blueberry-picking to your end-of-summer bucket list. Or simply stop by your local farmers’ market if you can’t make it to a blueberry patch. Sprinkle blueberries atop Greek yogurt, pop them in your mouth for a midday snack, or bake them into a blueberry buckle or cobbler for a summertime sweet.

3. Eggplant

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

The end of summer is the opportune time to eat eggplants. Eggplant is a great choice on nights when you’re trying to cut down on the meat and go vegetarian since it fills you up and can carry a meat-like texture in some dishes. Next #MeatlessMonday, opt for a quick and easy eggplant parmesan recipe.

4. Summer Squash

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Another vegetable to be enjoyed in the final summer months is summer squash, which can be used in a wide variety of ways. Chop up summer squash for a ratatouille or grate and mix into a turkey burger recipe.

5. Corn

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Corn is a true summer vegetable, used in dishes that are great for BBQ’s and dinner parties with friends. Try tossing corn into a homemade salsa or sauté it up in a pan with chopped peppers and onions. Grilled and served on the cob is another great way to enjoy corn in the summer.

6. Zucchini

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Zucchini is one of the most versatile vegetables. From sautéed zucchini to zoodles with pesto sauce to fried zucchini, the possibilities are endless. Pile the zucchinis into your cart next time you’re in the grocery store and try incorporating them into a few of your week’s meals.

7. Basil

summer foods

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

Basil provides a freshness and crispness to just about any recipe you can think of. Toss basil leaves into an herb egg scramble for breakfast or add it to a turkey sandwich for a twist on your everyday lunch. Load up on basil now before the winter months come and the refreshing herb is on its way out.