Most of us get pretty sick of the traditional staples our mothers tell us to keep on hand in our college pantries. There’s only so much we can do with pasta, rice and potatoes without repeating recipe after recipe. Fortunately, there are some cool, unexpected ingredients that you can keep in the kitchen to spice things up a bit. Just add these ingredients, and watch your average food turn into bad-ass snacks and meals.

1. Taco Seasoning

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

The best things come in small packages, right? This itty bitty package of spices adds a kick of flavor to  almost any dish. Here are five ways to use it:

1. Add it to grilled chicken for extra zest during a summertime lunch.
2. Spice up your rice with this easy recipe.
3. Tired of bland baked potatoes? Cook up some cheesy taco baked potatoes and invite your friends over for some spicy taters.
4. Move over, Crane Ramen. Next time you make ramen noodles, toss out the seasoning packet and mix in a tablespoon of taco seasoning. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese, chives, hot sauce and cilantro on top and you’ve got a take on ramen that even Maruchan hasn’t thought of yet.
5. OK, so you’re a sucker for that chipotle mayo from Subway. We are too, we get it. But what about changing it up a bit with some kick-ass homemade spicy mayo atop of a batch of chicken nugget tacos? YUM.

2. Unsweetened Almond Milk

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

Almond milk is one of the grocery store’s hidden gems. Sandwiched between the soy milk and the cow’s milk, it is commonly viewed as a substitute for people with lactose intolerance or other dietary restrictions and not as something that everyone can (and should) enjoy. These four ways to use it will please even the most die-hard dairy drinkers:

1. For a healthy start to your morning, use almond milk instead of creamer in your coffee, and you’ll leave the house with a little spring in your step.
2. Boil a cup of this dairy-free drink for some bomb oatmeal in the morning. Or, if you’re in a time crunch, make some overnight oats before you binge on Netflix.
3. Broken fridge or oven? Are you too lazy to actually bake dessert for your fundraiser? Have no fear, because no-bake almond milk cookies are here.
4. Add a splash of almond milk to your gravy for a creamier texture without the calories and fat.

Pro Tip: almond milk is about 1/4 of the calories of regular reduced fat milk, so you can use it as a flavorful, healthy substitute for almost anything.

3. Chicken Base

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

This stuff is a space saver and a life saver all in one. Instead of buying huge cans of chicken broth, keeping this beauty on hand will be the best decision you’ve made in a while. The idea is simple: just mix it with water and you’ve got a flavorful broth.

1. Cook some veggies on the skillet with a little bit of the base. Add about ¼ cup of water and some olive oil, and you’ve got a 5-minute, 5-star side dish you thought only your grandma was capable of.
2. Whip up some succulent chicken gravy to go with the Publix rotisserie chicken you picked up yesterday.
3. On a rainy day, bring back some childhood memories by simmering some of this homestyle chicken soup on the stove.
4. Bring some life into your quinoa, couscous or brown rice. Mix a teaspoon of chicken base with two cups of water, and add 1 cup of your desired grain. Believe me, it will be so much more appetizing than cooking it with water.
5. Host a comfort food night in your apartment with some friends and show off yo’ mad skills with this steamy chicken pot pie.

4. Dark Chocolate Chips (Or Chunks)

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

Everyone loves chocolate, and everyone loves cookies. But there are a lot more ways to use chocolate chips that can be both healthy and filling. Whether you’re just snacking or making breakfast in the morning, you should always have a package of these babies laying around. Use these tips when you’re stumped on how to incorporate them into your daily life.

1. Cookies. A cookie a day keeps the doctor away.
2. Sweeten up the go-to morning oats with some chocolate chips using this recipe.
3. DIY trail mix: ¼ cup chocolate chips, ½ cup peanuts, ½ cup almonds, ¼ cup raisins and ¼ cup coconut shavings. Pack it up for a quick midday snack with loads of nutrients and fiber.
4. Host an ice cream sundae party. Entice your friends with this recipe for homemade hot fudge. It’s a no-brainer.
5. If you’re a health nut, purchase dark chocolate chips and have just 2 tablespoons when you’re craving chocolate. There are plenty of antioxidants and monounsaturated fats, which help trim that tummy.

5. PB2

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

Next time you run to the store, try picking up some PB2 instead of regular peanut butter. Once you try it, you’ll never know how you lived without it. No clue how to use it? We’re here to help.

1. Just mix the powder with water, and you’ve made your own healthy peanut butter. Most importantly, this product has 85% less fat than regular peanut butter.
2. Throw some of the powder into a blender with some vanilla protein powder, cocoa powder, banana, almond milk and ice cubes for a low-fat, chocolatey-peanut butter dessert shake.
3. No more boring granola bars with tons of added sugar. Here’s recipe for a homemade version that’s healthy and chewy sweet and perfect.
4. The midnight munchies can’t ruin your diet anymore. Try something a little different by taking vanilla greek yogurt, a cereal of your choice and 2 tablespoons of PB2 to finish it off. Heck, even add some chocolate chips and you’ve got a midnight snack to cure any craving.
5. Put a healthy twist on a party favorite by using PB2 instead of peanut butter in this fruit dip recipe for less fat.

6. BBQ Sauce

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

Almost everyone has barbecue sauce on hand, but there are plenty of ways to use it other than to top chicken or as a dip for your nuggets. Add it to your sandwich, pizza or nachos, and your stomach is sure to smile. Or, you know, just do the following.

1. Pull out the old crock pot, because barbecue pulled chicken is on the menu tonight.
2. Trying to cut down on added fats? Smear some of this sweet stuff onto your sandwich instead of mayo. Talk about waking up a sandwich.
3. See ya later Dominoes. Bake a homemade pizza for a fraction of the price, sprinkle on some chicken and drizzle BBQ sauce for a cheaper version of the crowd favorite.
4. Sick of plain ol’ chicken breasts? Make this marinade to add a punch of flavor and a whole lotta “yum” to your annual cookout.
5. Nachos are the sluttiest of all foods—they’re quick, they’re easy and everyone loves them. Impress the hell out of your friends the next time you have them over by picking up some Jack Daniels pulled pork from the freezer section, and sprinkle it overtop some chips, grated Monterey Jack and diced red onions. Bake until the cheese is melted and pour some BBQ sauce on the top. BBQ nachos? Yes, please.

7. Broccoli Slaw

kitchen staples

Photo by Kelly Logan

Broccoli slaw is another one of those things that you pass by in the veggie aisle, but you’re never quite sure how to use it. Next time you’re there, snag a bag and keep it right next to that bottle of Ranch that’s been in your fridge for forever. You can also use it with this stuff:

1. Add it to that boring salad that you have every day. The slaw will give it a nice crunch and a varied texture.
2. Sauté a handful with soy sauce, garlic and honey. Feel free to add a bunch of other veggies, too, for a tangy Asian stir-fry.
3. Eat Ramen like you never have before. Make this recipe for a broccoli cole slaw that features one of your nearest and dearest ingredients.
4.  Steam to soften and add to a can of chicken noodle or vegetable soup for more substance.
5. First date this weekend? Impress your bae with this chicken tender meal that is sure to sweep them off their feet.

Hungry for more?