We all know how comforting food can be at times of stress, but there are more substantial options that will keep you feeling great much longer than that box of mac and cheese. They will also give you the brain fuel you need to crush your finals. Best part: all of them can be found on campus. Win win.

1. Avocados

stress

Photo by Erin Thomas

Avocados are full of stress-relieving B vitamins and potassium (a mineral that helps keep blood pressure low). On campus, Freshii has tons of options with avocado. Try the Fiesta salad, Pangoa bowl, Tex-mex or Baja burrito next time.

2. Oranges

stress

Photo by Olivia Henry-Jackson

Oranges are chock-full of vitamin C, which has been shown to reduce cortisol (a stress hormone) levels and promote immunity. Meal swipes at most locations typically include a side of fruit. Next time, pick up an orange.

3. Nuts

stress

Photo courtesy of greatist.com

Nuts like walnut, almonds and pistachios are rich in healthy, brain-supporting omega-3 fatty acids. You can find a good trail mix at the POD or make your own at Eagles Nest to snack on throughout the day.

4. Bananas

stress

Photo by Erin Thomas

Not only convenient and everywhere on campus, bananas are also teeming with potassium. Pick one up with your Starbucks latte for those late night study sessions.

5. Green Tea

stress

Photo courtesy of businessinsider.com

To many people, the aroma of coffee is linked to stressful environments like late-night group projects and crunch time after procrastinating. Coffee can also amplify the stress response and excess caffeine can be harmful to your nervous system.

Green tea is packed with antioxidants and phytochemicals and will keep you awake and healthy as an alternative to coffee. Almost all campus locations that serve coffee will also have flavors of green tea available including the Dav, Argo Tea, and Starbucks.

6. Asparagus

stress

Photo courtesy of secretlyhealthy.com

Although not everyone’s favorite, asparagus has so many benefits that it’s worth finding a way to enjoy it. It contains vitamin C, zinc, manganese, and selenium which support immunity and brain functioning.

It’s also known for being an aphrodisiac, as if you needed another reason to pile it on your plate at TDR.

7. Dark Chocolate

stress

Photo courtesy of cancerfighterthrive.com

Everyone’s favorite treat, dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. Chocolate also contains simple carbohydrates which release serotonin in the brain giving you a good feeling to relieve stress. Don’t go too crazy, but dark chocolate is a good option for a small indulgence. Check the vending machines for a rich treat.

Don’t let finals week destroy you. Fight the stress with food the smart way, not the tendahs and fries way. You still don’t have to leave campus. Fuel your body right and finish the semester strong.