A lot of work goes into making anime as vivid or realistic as possible, but one detail that caught my attention is the food that the characters are eating. I may have a sweet tooth but when it comes to food on the screen, I can go for whatever my favorite character is devouring.

Most people think ramen when it comes to simple Asian-inspired recipes – but tune into any Anime programs and you’ll see that isn’t the only thing people eat. Here are some anime-inspired recipes you can try out during your next binge-watching session.

1. Honey Ginger Milk

anime

A very simple recipe to try on a relaxing (or stressful) afternoon. Not only is this drink delicious, but it’ll help when you’re feeling a bit under the weather with a kick of ginger. Make it yo’self with this recipe.

2. Honey Lemons

anime

GIF courtesy of imgflip.com

Something that’s sweet and nutritious? Sign me up. A pick-me-up for athletes during games in Japan, these lemon slices are soaked in honey to get their head in the game. Heck, put it in your tea and save yourself the trouble of searching for some sugar or honey. Give it a go with this recipe here.

3. Onigiri

anime

One of the most common foods seen in anime is onigiri, which is a Japanese rice ball. As Katie Huang put it onigiri is the “the humble, sensible sibling of sushi.” I haven’t had the pleasure of trying this myself, but when I do make it I’ll be following this 20-minute recipe here.

4. Mochi

anime

This Japanese dessert is basically rice pounded into a paste. (Trust me it tastes better than it sounds.) Similar to onigiri, there are all sorts of options for fillings (think Nutella, ice cream or jam). Make it in your microwave with this recipe.

5. Tamago Kake Gohan

anime

Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve mastered eating raw fish but now it’s time to try out eating raw egg. Don’t freak out, this recipe is an easy to make staple meal. I only discovered it last year, but it’s seriously one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever seen. Give it a go with this recipe.

6. Shiozuke

anime

GIF courtesy of imgflip.com

In Japan, one of the most common side dishes I’ve seen in anime is pickled vegetables or pickled cucumbers. These quick pickles are easy to make and use salt instead of vinegar. The process may take longer than the name makes you think, but those crispy pickles are worth it. Get the recipe here.

7. Tamagoyaki

anime

I eat eggs as much as the next person for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so I was pretty sure that I had tried all possible egg recipes. I was wrong. Fluffy eggs rolled to form a log – Japan, you’ve outdone yourself. Ditch your basic omelet and try your hand at this recipe.