Radishes probably aren’t the first vegetable that come to mind when you think of optimal plant-based snacks. While they’re not the first thing you grab on the crudité platter, you should know that summer’s abundant produce goes beyond celery sticks and baby carrots.

If you’re willing to try something a little different and you care about what food can do for you, here are 5 reasons you should eat more radishes.

1. Low Calorie, High Nutrient Profile

radish

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Raw radishes are a good source of vitamin C while remaining low on the glycemic index. They’re also a hydrating food and their high water content keeps their calorie count low.

2. Natural Cooling Properties

radish

Photo courtesy of @lunarlillerz on Instagram

To put it in simple terms, radishes are considered a cooling food according to Eastern medicine. Heat builds in the body from various sources of inflammation, radishes combat this heat that can cause illness and health complications.

3. Fighting a Cold

radish

Photo by Kristine Mahan

The flavor of radish is pungent, this helps rid mucous from the body also according to the practices of Eastern medicine. Plus, their high vitamin C content aids your immune system.

4. Stomach Soother

radish

Photo courtesy of @tableanddine on Instagram

Their pungent and cooling properties act as a detoxifying food that can not only prevent digestive upset, but also help rid bloating and discomfort in the event that something does go awry in there.

5. Variety is Good

radish

Photo courtesy of @francesco.gallarotti on Instagram

The distinct crunch and flavor of a radish can come from a variety of types that you should explore. You most often see the Cherry Belle variety at American grocery stores but Daikon White, Roosehearts (which look like mini watermelons), and many more exist.