After four weeks of intense lectures and midterms looming in the not-so-distant future, the Thanksgiving break is right around the corner for some much-needed relief.

For some, this will mean missioning home to be surrounded by friends and family and fatten ourselves up for the rest of the semester. For others, this will mean a weekend spent in Guelph which, for the most part, will be devoid of students.

Whether home is too far away to visit, you have too many upcoming assignments, or Thanksgiving isn’t a holiday you typically celebrate, you need not miss out on a chance to eat well.

Here is a list of seven places in Guelph to have your own traditional (or not so traditional) Thanksgiving dinner.

1. Borealis Grille & Bar

This restaurant that has a focus on local cuisine in a trendy setting. On Thanksgiving they are having a prix-fixe three course dinner (with a vegetarian option). You can check out the full menu and make a reservation here.

2. Mom’s Kitchen

If you’re staying on campus, be sure to check out Mom’s Kitchen in the University Centre for a homestyle Thanksgiving meal on Sunday from 11:30 to 5:30. Be sure to check the holiday hours for your other favourite Hospitality locations, they can be found here.

3. Guelph Farmer’s Market

A photo posted by Erin Szikora (@erinszikora) on

If you are much too busy to commit to a full dinner in any capacity, try to swing by the Guelph Farmer’s Market Saturday morning to enjoy some fresh local food and pastries. Even if you can’t have a dinner with all the trimmings, you can treat yourself to a delicious pumpkin pie.

4. Aberfoyle Mill

A photo posted by @theaberfoylemill on

If you approach Guelph from the direction of the GTA, odds are you've passed by the Aberfoyle Mill. This aesthetically-pleasing restaurant will be holding a Thanksgiving brunch. This one is a little more pricey than the other options on this list, but if you need your turkey before noon, it's the place to go.

5. Swiss Chalet

If turkey isn’t your thing, Swiss Chalet will be offering their quarter chicken dinner with stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a slice of pie until October 16th. You can dine in or have them deliver to wherever you are. My suggestion is to have it delivered to the library to share with your fellow hard workers.  

6. OktoberFeast at Oktoberfest

Throw tradition on the window and head less than an hour South of Guelph to experience Kitchener-Waterloo’s Oktoberfest. This upcoming Saturday and Sunday, OktoberFeast will feature local food trucks to celebrate the festival.

7. Mandarin

Simply can't decide what to eat? Sample a bit of everything at this buffet which will be serving Thanksgiving dishes as well as a special Moon Festival menu.

However you do or don't celebrate, have a safe and happy long weekend.