We all have that one week during the month where sometimes our emotions go from 0-100 real quick. You know what week I’m talking about, the one where you sometimes can’t get out of bed because it feels like World War III in your abdomen, or when you have ten heating packs on to soothe your back.

Yep, I’m talking about the week where your favorite Aunt Flo comes for her monthly visit. And let’s face it, sometimes she stays too long and you just can’t take it anymore. Luckily, there are some steps you can take (or foods you can eat, even better right?!) that can make her trip a little more bearable.

Bananas

week

Photo by Izzi Clark

Taking your daily dose of vitamins is extremely important, but even more so when you are bloating to the point where you feel like a beached whale. Bananas are high in potassium and magnesium. They can reduce bloating along with water retention and even keep the visit civil, if ya know what I mean.

Whole Grains

week

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

Go grab yourself a loaf of whole grain bread from your pantry and say goodbye to muscle tension and fatigue. There are so many health benefits to choosing wheat bread over white bread. Whole grains also aid in digestion, perfect for when the peak of estrogen in your body is making your stomach act up.

Now, trying to decide between whole wheat and whole grain? Here are the differences.

#SpoonTip: Shape Magazine says that almond butter contains lean protein and fiber and is a sweet pairing to go along with wheat bread.

Watermelon

week

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Not watermelon Sour Patch Kids (although those are pretty bomb), but actual watermelon. Natural sugars may not seem like the go-to but your body will appreciate them more than the refined ones. This natural sugar will aid in the energy you need for when you’re in a slump.

Coffee

week

Photo by Jessica Molnar

Now before you start arguing with me that there is no way that caffeine can be “healthy” for you, I have one thing for you to hear: caffeine is an ingredient in popular cramp reliever Midol. So how about them apples? With a coffee shop on every corner, a glass of iced coffee could be just the thing you need to wake up and start your day.

Oranges

week

Photo by Hannah Lin

Oranges are not only an excellent source of vitamin C, but also full of calcium. Calcium has been proven to decrease anxiety-type feelings during PMS. Dice up some of these and throw them in a salad or a yogurt cup.

Water

week

Photo courtesy of pixabay.com

This one should be a no-brainer. It’s important to stay hydrated all the time, but especially throughout this week. You know all too well that you’re going to want to reach for that family-size bag of chips and plop down on your couch with a blanket and binge-watch Netflix all day.

Instead, drink a bottle of water first, wait 15-20 minutes then, if you’re still hungry, grab a handful to snack on, not the whole bag. And if the weather’s nice, take a walk while you’re at it. The fresh air will make you feel so much better when you’re feeling groggy.

Bored of drinking the same old water? Read this to find ways to make water taste better.

Dark Chocolate

week

That’s right, you heard me. I said dark chocolate. This is NOT a drill. Snatch your keys and drive to your nearest grocery store and stock up on some bark. This is a healthy alternative to satisfying your sweet tooth while also boosting your serotonin, which can release happy hormones.

week

I know that the week can sometimes feel like eternity but you got this. Now go eat some chocolate, throw on a rom-com, grab your dog and hold on for what hopefully won’t be a messy ride.