After coming back to Japan from a recent trip to Australia, I realized something was missing when I opened the fridge or pantry at home. I was craving food from Australia that I can’t easily get where I live and there was nothing I could do about it. Here are seven of my personal favorite food souvenirs from Australia. You can, of course, gift these to your friends and family, but I personally think these should be souvenirs you keep for yourself.

7. Vegemite

Souvenirs

Photo by Lauren Thiersch

Vegemite is a savory paste that is widely eaten in Australia. It might be an odd sight for people eating it for the first time, but trust me, try spreading a thin layer on a piece of hot buttered toast. The saltiness and umami flavors from the Vegemite and butter combined is well worth the experience.

6. Milo

Souvenirs

Photo by Gabi Rosenthal

The danger about Milo is adding way too many scoops of the chocolatey goodness to your milk than you should (but no one’s going to get mad, so do you). Milo is the perfect drink for mornings or a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, though no one’s going to stop you from drinking this delicious chocolate drink several times a day. What better place to get your Milo powder from where it was originally developed?

5. Cadbury Chocolate

Souvenirs

Photo courtesy of cadbury.co.uk

More chocolate? Yes, there’s more chocolate on this list. Cadbury chocolates are simple, milky, and delicious, and the Carmello Koalas and Freddos are the cutest shaped chocolates perfect for sharing with friends. Or for sharing with yourself.

4. Muesli

Souvenirs

Photo by Nicole Laszlo

I love muesli compared to granola or cereal but can rarely get it in Japan. If you’ve never had muesli before, you must try it. There’s no comparison for all the wonderful flavors and textures you can get from the generous servings of dried fruit, nuts, and rolled oats in muesli.

3. Crumpets

Souvenirs

Photo courtesy of Bob Peters on flickr.com

Oh crumpets. Why can’t you be always there for me at my local supermarket? I have an obsession with crumpets. They are absolutely a delight to eat in the morning with butter melting into the nooks and crannies speckled on top of a toasted crumpet. You’re going to want to bring back several bags of these in your suitcase.

2. Greek Yogurt

Souvenirs

Photo courtesy of thedailymeal.com

This one might be impossible to bring back easily on your flight back home, but I bet you will wish you could once you try Australian Greek-style yogurt. It is impossibly creamy and thick, and silky smooth. Each spoonful is pure indulgence in your mouth. You’ll finish a container and feel so satisfied.

1. Tim Tams

Souvenirs

Photo courtesy of slgckgc on flickr.com

Last but not least are Tim Tams. These are probably well known and popular but they really are worth the hype. There’s something so delicious and addicting about the cream-filled biscuit covered in chocolate that you’ll definitely want to bring back several. And these you should definitely share because you wouldn’t want anyone to miss out.