Many gryphons enjoy beer on the regular, but don’t necessarily know how many amazing brews there are made locally. Here is a list of great beers brewed locally that have ingredients, flavours, and colours to perfectly complement your inner gryphon. Beer is more than just a drink, however, it is an experience, so also included are the best places to drink them.

1. Sleeman’s Honey Brown Lager

beer

Photo by Breanne Schooley

Sleeman’s Honey Brown Lager is perfect for warming up after spending all day crossing campus in the face-numbing wind. The toasted grains provide a warm undertone while the honey gives a sweet finish.

This beer is best enjoyed with a few good friends at home, daydreaming of the end of winter and warmer days.

2. Sleeman’s Original Draught

beer

Photo by Breanne Schooley

If Sleeman’s light amber honey brown lager doesn’t strike a chord with you, opt for the ever faithful original draught. Its golden colour and refreshingly crisp taste are familiar to many a gryphon.

This beer deserves to be enjoyed at the Sleeman Centre, catching a hockey game and cheering on the Guelph Storm with your friends. Get ticket information here.

3. Wellington Brewery’s Gryphon Gold

beer

Photo by Breanne Schooley

Gryphon Gold is one of the less adventurous flavours you’ll encounter from Wellington Brewery. It’s for you lager lovers who want to sit down with a nice, chill beer. The flavour notes of Gryphon Gold are subtly citrusy, but the can itself is bold and perfectly displays your school pride.

Try it for FREE on Sampling Saturdays at the brewery’s on-site Iron Duke House, from 1-4 pm. Information about Sampling Saturdays can be found here. Or, grab a pint at Brass Taps.

4. Royal City Brewing Company’s Smoked Honey Ale

beer

Photo courtesy Royal City Brewing Company

The Smoked Honey Ale has a subtle smoky flavour with a lower carbonation lending to its smaller production style. It’s not quite as sweet as expected, the honey is more dry than sweet, but this beautifully complements the smokiness. Overall a very pleasant local brew. This beer fits the sweet but feisty Gryphon persona beautifully.

Paired with a great meal at The Cornerstone is the way to go with this brew. Or, check out Royal City Brewing Co.’s new website here for information on tours and what’s available at their brew house.

5. StoneHammer Brewery’s Oatmeal Coffee Stout

beer

Photo by Lara Schwieger

The Oatmeal Coffee Stout is a beautifully dark beer with the coffee taking centre stage in both taste and scent. If you’re a coffee addict, this is the beer of your dreams. It will quench your exam-induced thirst for caffeine and alcohol simultaneously. The sweet toasty undertones from the oatmeal balance it nicely, and it all goes down very smoothly.

Pick this up at their retail store and sip this stout by a fireplace after a long week of midterms, finals, or life.

6. StoneHammer Brewery’s Premium Pilsner

beer

Photo by Breanne Schooley

From the makers of the Oatmeal Coffee Stout, the Premium Pilsner is on the opposite end of the spectrum with a light gold colour and crisp and grainy light beer with a pleasant earthiness. Much like the pleasant earth friendly attitude in UoG’s sustainability projects.

Find it at LCBO and give it a home this spring when you can enjoy it’s freshness with the warm-ish outdoors.

If you love beer, you’ll also love these articles: