As a native Buffalonian, I have certainly consumed my fair share of Labbat Blues and wings while cheering on the Bills at the Ralph; and while everyone recognizes Buffalo as home to severe lake effect and subpar sports teams, no one knows about its secret yummy eats.

From airy sponge candy to hearty beef on weck sandwiches, I'm here to give you the inside scoop on everything you might be missing out on.

Loganberry Soda

A photo posted by Hannah Verp (@hannahvee159) on

Buffalo stole this delicious and non-carbonated beverage from our neighbors to the north, who deserve to be credited as the inventors of the unique raspberry and blackberry blend. Crystal Beach was the first manufacturer of this sickly sweet and bright red pop, which pairs perfectly with a charcoal broiled Ted's hot dog

Sponge Candy

Watson's Chocolate won the title of Buffalo's best sponge candy for 2016, but the store has been fufilling the city's sweet tooth for the past 70 years. Their famous method of carefully cooking each individual "sponge" in traditional copper kettles creates a light-as-air chocolate with a crispy, crunchy "sponge" of delicate carmelized sugar.

Perry's Ice Cream even created a special flavor with sponge candy pieces, sea salt caramel swirls and fudge-coated pretzels called "One Buffalo."

Bison's French Onion Dip

The ultimate go-to dip. This stuff is perfect for dunking pretzels, chips, and even veggies. Anyone from Buffalo has brought this to a cookout or tailgate, as its smooth onion flavor pairs perfectly with everything. Check out this Spoon article on how to throw your own epic tailgate. 

Beef on Weck

A photo posted by J Alcantara (@jalcant) on

The infamous Beef on Weck sandwich is composed of perfectly seasoned, slightly rare, thinly-sliced roast beef piled high on a soft Kimmelweck roll seasoned with rye and salt. I grew up eating these at my grandparents' house paired with a smidge of horseradish sauce, but you can find amazing substitutes at either Charlie the Butchers or Schwabls

Real Buffalo Wings

By far the most famous bar snack associated with the nickel city, legend has it that the buffalo wing was created in the kitchen of Teressa Bellissimo in 1964. Originally a last minute, impromptu snack for her son and his friends, Teressa tossed the chicken wings in a special sauce and paired them with a side of blue cheese and celery

Today, Buffalo is extremely proud of the wing's hometown heritage, and has been celebrating Chicken Wing Day every July 29th since 1977. 

Chicken Finger Sub

This classic Buffalo tradition is yet another excuse to plan a trip to Western New York, as it is nearly impossible to find this unique sandwhich anywhere else. The sub features chicken fingers dipped in Frank's Redhot sauce, melted provolone cheese, sliced tomatoes, leafy green lettuce, topped with a generous amount of chunky blue cheese drizzle. It can be found at almost any sub shop or pizza place in Buffalo, yet my personal favorite is Jim's SteakOut because their late night hours are perfect for when the drunchies hit. 

Our bars are open until 4 am, the Bills are on a winning streak, and you know you want to suck down some loganberry soda with a Sahlen's hot dog. Now is your chance to come visit good ole Buffalo, where I promise you will come for the food and stay because of the people.