When most people think of a sandwich, they picture slices of meat and cheese between bread, which is why when I first became vegan I thought my sandwich days were over. But these assumptions quickly ended when I realized just how many alternative options are available for people following a plant-based diet, or even someone who just wants a healthy, cholesterol-free meal.

Making a delicious vegan sandwich is easy, and all it takes is a little bit of creativity. To help inspire some possible ideas for a cruelty-free sandwich, here are a few recipes that will give all you vegans (and meat-eaters, too) energy for the day.

1. Sweet Potato Veggie Burger

vegan sandwiches

Photo courtesy of loveandlemons.com

If you’re in the mood for a burger, this veggie substitute is sure to satisfy your burger craving. For this easy and delicious burger recipe, you simply mash together a baked sweet potato, about a quarter cup of oat flour, soft canned beans, and hemp seeds. Besides these few main ingredients, it’s totally up to you which other whole foods you would like to add, like maple syrup, brown rice, or even apple.

This burger is super easy to make and, unlike the average hamburger, it is great for your heart. I’ve tried multiple recipes for this burger, but this one is definitely my favorite. I also add hemp seeds because they’re easy to mix in, provide so many extra benefits, and are barely noticeable when cooked.

Hemp protein is a complete source of all 20 known amino acids, as well as an excellent source of omegas 3 and 6, vitamin E, iron, calcium, and B vitamins. From improving digestion to balancing hormones, the benefits of hemp seeds are endless.

2. Hummus and Roasted Veggies Sandwich

vegan sandwiches

Photo courtesy of naturallyella.com

The key to a good vegan sandwich is always the spread, which is why adding hummus to a veggie sandwich is guaranteed to spice things up. This sandwich provides a lot of room for creativity, since there are endless veggie combinations you can try, and it will remind you just how delicious a simple veggie sandwich can be.

Adding ingredients such as roasted red pepper, tomato, avocado, and chard make the sandwich flavorful and nutrient dense and is an easy go-to when you have leftover vegetables in the fridge or you aren’t in the mood to cook something.

Chard contains a significant amount of vitamin E, K, C, iron, calcium, zinc, kaempferol, and beta carotene. Chard has anti-cancer properties due to the huge amounts of antioxidants found in it, and it is also known to improve your eye, brain and hair health!

3. Walnut Salad or “Vegan Tuna” Sandwich

vegan sandwiches

Photo courtesy of kblog.lunchboxbunch.com

This super easy salad sandwich is a healthy substitute for tuna fish. Made using chickpeas and walnuts, this nutty and creamy dish is flavored with lemon pepper and crunchy, fresh celery. All you need to make this sandwich are chickpeas, walnuts, lemon juice, chia seeds, vegan mayo, and celery.

Chia seeds are nutrient dense, easy to digest, and energy boosting. The Mayans called these seeds “runner’s food” and said that just one spoonful would give them high energy and endurance that would last the whole day. Chia seeds are one of nature’s richest antioxidants and are proven to help your skin age better in the future.

A variety of other ingredients can be added to give this sandwich an extra kick, including cranberries, pomegranate seeds, or even a pinch of cayenne. This recipe can also be made in advance and stored in the fridge for busy days when you can easily pop it between two slices of toast or eat it with crackers as a snack.

#SpoonTip: Make sure to check out Kathy’s website to see the step-by-step recipe for this sandwich, as well as tons of other great vegan recipes and videos.

4. Avocado Toast

vegan sandwiches

Photo by Rachel Piorko

Avocado toast is an easy and healthy dish that can be eaten for any meal. It’s filling, and you can add almost anything to spice it up a little, such as nuts, seeds, vegetables, or even strawberries (if you haven’t experienced the amazing combination of strawberries and avocado… now is the time). For step-by-step instructions on how to make the perfect avocado toast, click here.

Avocados have over twenty vitamins and minerals including lots of fiber, potassium, and vitamins C, B, and K. The benefits of avocados range from strengthening eyesight and improving cognitive abilities to reducing risk of cancer and heart disease.

5. Olive Tapenade and Hummus Stuffed Pita

vegan sandwiches

Photo courtesy of naturallyella.com

This stuffed pita is super easy and perfect for days when you need to pack a lunch, since it travels better than most sandwiches. The combination of garlic, olives, roasted red pepper, and jicama is filling and delicious. This recipe is easy to prepare and can be used in a variety of other ways such as a pizza topping or even in a salad. 

Jicama is known to boost your immune system and manage your blood pressure. Jicama is very high in copper and iron, which helps with your circulatory system. It is also very high in magnesium and manganese, which help you build stronger bones.