There is only one thing that college gives out for free to almost every student twice a year — a worthless cold. Whether you live in a dorm or share a seat in lecture with multiple other people, you are bound to get sick.

If you are lucky enough to never get sick just remember two things: One is that I hate you because I get sick at least four times every flu season, and two is that adding these foods to your diet can help you remain healthy.

Have a fever, nausea or cough? Try ginger.

flu

Ginger is like the unsung hero of food. It can help fight multiple flu symptoms, yet few people are aware of their magical abilities. Just eating this herb alone can help cure the most annoying of flu symptoms, a sore throat and a stuffy nose. Ginger also has the capability to cure many stomach problems and help with diarrhea. So if you have the coffee runs or period runs, yes fellas it is a real thing, you now have a cure. I don’t encourage eating ginger raw, I recommend checking out this ginger curry egg drop soup. 

Dark chocolate helps build the immune system.

flu

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

As a disclaimer, I do not recommend sugar, alcohol or fried food when you are sick because they weaken the immune system. I’m aware I just told you not to eat chocolate, however, a small portion of dark chocolate can help your body fight off germs.

#SpoonTip: You can pair the dark chocolate with blueberries, which contain vitamin C and antioxidants. If chocolate isn’t your thing you could always try this delectable Blueberry basil sorbet or these chunky blueberry oatmeal coconut cookies.

Tired? Eat a turkey sandwich.

flu

Turkey is a great way toreduce fatigue and help you get out of bed or even to make it through the day. Just last week it was only noon, and I could barely keep my eyes open in class. I was ready to curl up in a ball and die, literally. But after snacking on a delicious turkey sandwich I felt genuinely rejuvenated. It may sound cliché, but that sandwich worked like a miracle drug. I was able to make it through the day until I was reunited with my bed again.

Turkey is rich in amino acids that can help strengthen the immune system. It also provides the body with many hormones it can’t make on its own. You don’t have to just eat turkey when you’re sick. I say ditch the coffee when you’re doing an all-nighter and just snack on turkey. If you aren’t interested in a traditional turkey sandwich, try this delicious cuban-style turkey avocado panini.

Need to get healthy quick? Try red bell peppers.

flu

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

Ditch the Orange Juice next time your sick and try red bell peppers instead. These peppers have twice as much Vitamin C compared to oranges. Red bell peppers have been found to be able to reduce severity and duration of flu-like symptoms. Eating red bell peppers can also increase the number of white blood cells in the body and aid in maintaining the skin.

Next time you’re at an event with a veggie platter make sure to snack on the red bell peppers. If you’re more of a dipper, I suggest trying out this Better-Than-Wings Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip. If going raw isn’t your style, you could always try my personal favorite, Wild Rice and Veggie Stuffed Pepper.

Why not add more bacteria inside yourself by eating yogurt?

flu

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

Yogurt is rich in Probiotics which are basically “good” bacteria. If you’re having trouble with diarrhea or nausea try yogurt, it has been found to help ease digestive problems. Sick or not, eating yogurt is not a bad idea to help keep you regular.

flu

Eating these foods, combined with a drinking lots of fluids, will definitely get you back on your feet and reunited with the squad in no time.