Let’s face it, waiters and waitresses are the unsung heroes of the world. They can turn a miserable dining experience into a fantastic, memorable one (or in some cases, just the opposite).

Serving is a great job for college students looking for a fun way to pay their bills or just make a little extra cash. In honor of Wait Staff Appreciation Day (May 21), check out these top five things that all servers would share with their customers. Then head on over to your favorite restaurant and show your server some love!

1. Did you read the menu?

server

Photo by Armin Nayak

More likely than not, the answer to your question is found somewhere on the menu. When you ask me what kind of roll the gourmet grilled cheese comes on, we will point to the tiny sentence, the one you must have skipped over that says “served on cibatta bread” and smile. We will all save time, and therefore you will have your dinner more quickly, if you read the menu thoroughly before you decide.

2. We have other customers.

server

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

We really want you to pick a dish you’re going to love. Keep in mind, though, we are tending to anywhere between 3-6 other tables. Please don’t tell us you’re ready to order if you’re not! We don’t have time to spare while you are deliberating between the salmon or the pork chops. If you’re not ready, don’t worry – we’ll come back for you.

3. Generally it’s not our fault

server

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

Things that servers can control: your drink refills and clearing your dishes.

Things that servers can not control: the prices of food, the wait time, the air conditioning in half of the restaurant, the kitchen running behind, the bar being backed up, the amount of time it takes to split a bill 8 different ways, etc.

The list could go on and on, but you get the general idea. Servers try to get everything right so that you can have a great experience. However, there are quite a few things that have nothing to do with us, and therefore, do not warrant punishment.

4. Help us out a little bit

server

Photo by Armin Nayak

Yes, we are here to serve you, but we are people too and would appreciate some help. And we don’t mean help as in cook your own food. We mean – if we are trying to place food in front of you and there is no room for us to place it, move some stuff. If we’re trying to reach for your drink to refill it, don’t make us lean across the table – that’s rude, and uncomfortable for everyone involved. Simply hand us the glass. It takes a team effort to make your experience a great one.

5. We really do love our jobs

server

Photo by Armin Nayak

Servers are not out to get you. We know what it’s like to go to a restaurant and leave feeling unhappy. That’s certainly not what we want to have happen to you. We are social people who love talking to customers and enjoy what we do.

So next time you’re dining out, keep this list in the back of your mind and maybe throw in an extra buck. Your server will thank you and definitely remember you next time.

If you enjoyed this article, check out: