Food has become an essential aspect of any popular Instagram page. Whether you have a food Instagram account yourself or you like to incorporate the occasional ice cream pic into your personal account, these five tips are guaranteed to help you reach your maximum like potential.

1. Lighting

Instagram

Photo by Gabrielle Levitt

Lighting is one of the most important components of a successful photo. Bad lighting will render your pictures blurry and useless. If a restaurant has open windows and great lighting, just go for it. However, if you are in a dark location, ask your friends (or parents) to turn their flashlight app on for you. Play around with the angles until you find the perfect amount of light. You may look obnoxious, but it will be totally worth it. No matter what you do, NEVER use flash. It ruins the quality and appearance of the food.

2. Angle

Instagram

Photo by Gabrielle Levitt

While some Instagrammers swear to the top-down angle, I always say the closer the better. Get all up in your food and maybe even throw it up in the air for a nice background touch.

3. Focus

Instagram

Photo by Gabrielle Levitt

No matter what angle and lighting you use, focus is key to capture the texture of your food. Click on the screen and wait until your photo is as clear as possible. Take multiple shots to make sure you have the perfect picture.

4. Editing

Instagram

Photo by Gabrielle Levitt

I suggest using the VSCO Cam app for some light editing. Don’t over-do it, however. If your Mac and Cheese looks blue, you have gone way too far.

5. Caption

Doughnt ya wish you ate this for brunch? #fatpplproblems

A photo posted by @fatpplproblems on

There are two approaches to get you to that perfect caption. The first is to use a pun or some other clever play on words. However, if you cannot think of something funny, do not try too hard. The second approach is to be as detailed as possible. People will be craving your meal for days to come.

So, if food Instagrams used to be intimidating, annoying or downright scary, there’s no need to worry anymore. Go out there and use these tips. You’ll be a pro in no time.