Ugh, is it Mashed Potato Monday again? Taco Tuesday? Waffle Wednesday? Spice up your dining hall cycle with these five additions for a pop of flavor and a boost in nutrition. Don’t forget to keep these hidden gems in your bag for d-hall emergencies.

1. Almond Butter

dining hall

Photo by Amanda Taheri

You’d be nuts not to bring some almond butter with you to the dining hall. Not only is almond butter delicious, but it is also packed with fiber and vitamins. Revitalize your basic dining hall breakfast by adding a glob of AB to your toast or banana instead of plain old peanut butter.

Feeling fancy? Make a hearty and healthy almond butter-banana sandwich for breakfast with almond butter, sliced banana, and whole wheat bread, and add in granola for an extra crunch.

2. Avocado

dining hall

Photo by Spoon University

Avocados make a great addition to any dining hall meal. Not only are they delicious, but they’re also packed with omega-3 fatty acids—hello, shiny hair and soft skin! Try adding some avo to your eggs at breakfast, your salad at lunch and your burger at dinner. Or, be trendy and try making your own avocado toast.

#SpoonTip: Avocado and hot sauce are a match made in heaven.

3. Chia Seeds

dining hall

Photo by Spoon University

Chia seeds are another amazing source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and protein. Because of all the benefits these tiny seeds pack in, they will keep you full all day long—or at least through your two hour lecture.

Try jazzing up dining hall oatmeal by mixing in some chia seeds, or use them to top off your handmade avocado toast. Chia seeds also go great in yogurt, smoothies and salads.

4. Berries

dining hall

Photo by Spoon University

Berries are as rare a sighting in any dining hall as Bigfoot, so bring your own! Tote in a small tupperware of fresh berries to top off your yogurt or slice into your cereal bowl for breakfast. Berries are also useful at dinner time. If you’re trying to satisfy your sweet tooth without packing on the pounds, pair some berries with whipped cream for a healthy alternative to the sundae bar.

5. Dried Fruit

dining hall

Photo courtesy of David Gallagher on Flickr

When winter hits, the availability and quality of all fruit significantly decreases. Invest in some delicious dried fruit to stave out the fruitless winter months. Add dried berries to oatmeal or yogurt, or try amping up your salad game with dried apricot.

#SpoonTip: Enjoy your dried fruit outside of the dining hall as a healthy snack you can eat all day long.