Matcha is all the rage nowadays. The food scene is now starting to shift from the salted caramel or marshmallow chocolate-loaded bombs, to lighter and fresher flavors like green tea. I was lucky enough to go to Tokyo this summer and taste this ceremonial tea in its rawest form. As both a matcha lover and a sucker for sweets, I felt that it would be a sin if I didn’t document my journey. Here are my personal favorites:

1. Häagen-Dazs Matcha Crunch Bar

Matcha

Photo courtesy of @asiatrend on twitter

Can be found in: FamilyMart

Häagen-Dazs is always fabulous, and this was the first matcha dessert that I found on my trip. It topped off my ramen breakfast perfectly. The green tea ice cream is coated with a matcha chocolate cookie crumb shell. The best part is it can pretty much be found anywhere in Japan as long as you’re near a FamilyMart convenience store.

2. Mochi

Matcha

Photo by Annika Altura

Can be found in: Tsukiji Market

This particular mochi was filled with a red bean filling and a green tea creme filling at the center, topped with a strawberry. After walking around in the heat and stuffing my face with Toro (tuna belly) sushi in the famous Tsukiji market, this was a nice treat to shift the palate.

3. Manneken Waffles

Matcha

Photo by Annika Altura

Can be found in: Ginza

Oh boy, were these good. I had one of these matcha red bean waffles everyday for breakfast. They’re served warm, with a slightly caramelized crisp exterior. Simple, yet absolutely delicious. Manneken also serves waffles in salted caramel, chocolate, maple, and cream cheese varieties.

4. Soft Serve

Matcha

Photo by Annika Altura

Can be found: Anywhere

This is a Japanese staple. No matter where you are in Japan, you’ll always be able to find this treat. The Hokkaido milk makes this dessert especially creamy, and the cold ice cream is wonderful in the summer heat. I love how this dessert is absolutely perfect, in that it is light and indulgent all at once.

5. Gelato Sandwich

Matcha

Photo by Annika Altura

Can be found in: Kiyosumi-Shirakawa

This is an Asian twist on the Italian classic. The warm buttery brioche envelopes the creamy, made-that-morning matcha gelato. It’s paired best with the coffee that Brigela serves as well. After a full day of shopping and being on your feet, it’s absolutely deserved. I mean, all the shopping bags are heavy, and that’s exercise right?

So maybe my matcha-sweet tooth is a little insane, but who needs chocolate when you have matcha?