After finishing a killer workout, your body is begging for delicious foods to eat that are packed with healthy nutrients and proteins to help with muscle recovery. Most people tend to go for traditional healthy items like fruit, fish, or vegetables—but if you’re anything like me, a hard workout actually leads to junk food cravings. Instead of denying those cravings and torturing yourself by depriving your body of those appetizing foods, just say yes! I know it sounds crazy, but just hear me out.

Here’s a list of 5 surprisingly beneficial post work-out foods that won’t set you back from achieving those fitness goals.

1. Ice Cream

Photo courtesy of puckermob.com

I promise you, I’m not crazy. Fitness experts across the world will tell you to cut dairy from your diet, which can be beneficial, but I’m here to tell you to treat yo’ self. Sugars from this delicious frozen treat help with building muscle and it prevents protein breakdown due to the insulin spike that it causes.

2. Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich

Photo courtesy of honestcooking.com

Giving you all of the elementary school nostalgia feels with all of the surprisingly nutritional benefits. This yummy snack has between 20 to 30 grams of protein and aids in refueling an overworked body.

3. Cereal

Photo courtesy of myfitnesspal.com

Yes, cereal. The sugary, the better. A lot of children’s cereals such as Frosted Flakes, Trix, and Apple Jacks contain plenty of sugar, which is sure to spike your insulin level and help with replenishing your muscles. Body builders suggest that you add a scoop of whey protein to the milk to increase the amount of protein in your meal.

4. Fast-Food

Photo courtesy of centives.net

It sounds like an awful idea juxtaposition to mention “working out” and “fast food” in the same sentence, but it is possible to eat fast food and reap the nutritional benefits. Inexpensive fast food options such as burgers, and fries, can actually help with glycogen replenishment after high intensity workouts. Researchers wouldn’t suggest always going for this option, but it’s okay every once in a while.

5. Chocolate Milk

Photo courtesy of livestrong.com

Chocolate milk is the Holy Grail when it comes to protein and carbs. According to intensive research ,milk contains about 80% casein protein and 20% whey protein, which is essential for recovery. Got milk?