This year you can actually keep your New Year's resolution of eating clean and staying healthy. When travelling, it may seem overwhelming to figure out what to snack on when the only places available to you are convenient stores and coffee shops. But, if you know where to look or what to bring, you can have some easy, healthy airport snacks. 

1. Unsalted Nuts and Seeds

cereal, chocolate, sweet, nut
Bari Blanga

Dry roasted and raw nuts are the best airplane snack. They are available at most airport convenient stores and are small enough to fit into your carry on. They are high in protein and healthy fats, while being low in simple carbohydrates. Instead of feeling full and bloated (due to sodium) on a plane, these will leave you feeling perfectly satisfied. 

2. Hummus

Montana Black

This popular dip is available in several airports now and is becoming available on flights for purchase as well. Instead of pairing it with crackers or chips, opt for fresh vegetables or unsalted nuts and seeds. It is much healthier than butter or cheese and it will leave you feeling fuller for longer due to its protein content. 

3. Popcorn

kettle corn, butter, cereal, salt, corn, popcorn
Meredith Marcus

Popcorn is the best. It's light, which makes it the perfect carry-on snack. It's delicious, packed with protein and is relatively low in carbohydrates and calories compared to chips. Due to its spike in popularity, it is widely available in airport convenient stores. Make sure to choose the plain version, as the flavoured versions tend to be much higher in fat and calories.

4. Premade Salads

pepper, asparagus, meat, salad, vegetable
Caitlin Wolper

Coffee shops and convenient stores are starting to offer many more healthy options. When looking for a healthy version, try to stay away from processed meats and cheese toppings. Instead of the prepacked dressing, try using hummus as a dip for the vegetables. Pair with unsalted nuts/seeds as a crunchy topping. 

5. Fresh Fruit

juice, sweet, apple
Montana Black

There are many more airport spots that are starting to keep fresh fruit next to their registers and in their fridges. Stick to fresh fruit over a premade fruit salad to avoid added sugar.

Just because you're on-the-go doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your health. Finding easy and healthy airport snacks is becoming easier than ever and can be satisfying as well. Safe travels and happy munching.