In the middle of a stressful junior year, one of my most internal struggles hit me like a brick wall, thanks to this Buzzfeed quiz: Do I like chocolate or cheese better? I’ve always had a sweet tooth, usually preferring dessert over dinner, but I also can’t resist a burrito smothered in queso or an elegant charcuterie (check out this link if you’re not French) hors d’oeuvre. One of my favorite places to eat in Des Moines is The Cheese Shop, therefore my love of cheese needs no further explanation.

So, you can imagine my excitement when I found out that chocolate and cheese can be paired together—and it can actually be good. With the help of some (hungry) friends, I explored the depths of stinky cheese and sweet chocolate paired together.

5. Gouda Cheese + Coffee-Flavored Chocolate

cheese and chocolate

Photo by Beth LeValley

One of my favorite cheeses to have with just crackers is Gouda cheese. Before this, I had never even thought about pairing it with any kind of chocolate, but the bitter coffee flavor was a nice pairing with the sweet cheese. However, I may be biased because I am a firm believer that coffee-flavored anything is absolutely delicious.

4. Goat Cheese + Milk Chocolate

cheese and chocolate

Photo by Linzie Gienau

In the grocery store, goat cheese is often mild and usually mixed with other flavors. In this instance, the goat cheese smelled funky because it was coated with a mold on the outside. Because of the intense flavor of the cheese, we thought it best paired with the regular milk chocolate.

3. Cheddar Cheese + Nuts and Chocolate

cheese and chocolate

Photo by Beth LeValley

Many people describe cheddar cheese as “nutty,” which is probably why it paired so well with the nutty chocolate.

2. Brie Cheese + Fruit-Filled Chocolate

cheese and chocolate

Photo by Beth LeValley

If you know your cheeses, you know that Brie cheese commonly goes well with fruits. Whether it’s a berry or a citrus flavor, you can’t go wrong with a super-sweet chocolate and the creamy Brie. Be sure the cheese is room temperature so it’s at its creamiest.

1. Blue Cheese + Dark Chocolate

cheese and chocolate

Photo by Linzie Gienau

I have to credit The Cheese Shop on this one. As I was explaining my strategy behind this article, an employee told me that blue cheese and dark chocolate pair well together, and he wasn’t wrong. This was the first and best pairing of the night.