Gone are the days of Mom or Dad taking care of us when we’re sick. The fluffy pillows, extra blankets, and homemade chicken noodle soup have been swapped for frantically emailing professors about your class absence, waiting in line at the Health Center for some meds, and eating stale Saltines from the back of your pantry.

Spoon has compiled all of our favorite comfort food recipes that are so easy, even your roommate can prepare for you while you’re in a NyQuil-induced slumber.

1. Soup

sick

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

There’s a reason this is always Mom’s go-to recipe when you’re sick: chicken noodle soup has anti-inflammatory ingredients that can mitigate the side effects of a cold. Sure, Campbell’s is tasty and convenient, but there’s nothing like homemade chicken noodle soup to help soothe your throat and have you feeling better by your 6 pm class. Or try this chicken tomato soup, guaranteed to taste like home. And if your roommate is in a rush, have her whip up this tortellini soup that only takes ten minutes to make.

2. Grilled Cheese

sick

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

Although we agree that grilled cheese and tomato soup belong together, there are so many other combos out there that will provide you with nutrients and deliciousness. Try some of the soups above with this spinach and artichoke grilled cheese for a double dose of veggies, or this Italian-inspired Caprese grilled cheese.

If your roommate is feeling their inner chef come out, you could even put some soup in your sandwich with this french onion soup grilled cheese.

3. Toast

sick

Photo by Grace Goettman

Toast seemed to be the necessary remedy when we were little. It’s so versatile and serves as a wondrous canvas for so many yummy and nutritious spreads and toppers. Although it’s been the craze for a while, you can’t deny the deliciousness of this avocado toast. Plus avocados have potassium, fiber, and vitamins K, C, B6 and E.

If avocados won’t do it for you, try these banana-topped toasts. Or if your roommate wants to try being a bit fancier, this strawberry honey ricotta toast recipe might just do the trick.

4. Spicy Foods

sick

Photo by Helen Poon

If your stomach can handle it, spicy foods are great for clearing those sinuses and restoring your sense of smell and taste. Spicy foods also have Vitamin A and C, which can help boost the immune system and even kill stomach bacteria.

If the thought of Sriracha makes you cringe, try these four 4ways to increase your spiciness tolerance. And once you’re ready, try this spicy acorn squash recipe, or the Sriracha and egg avocado burrito, #2 on this list of 33 spicy foods.

5. All Things Citrus

sick

Photo by wallpapersking.com

Drinking OJ seems to be the go-to cure whenever you feel the sniffles coming on. But for those among us who are pulp-averse, getting your Vitamin C fix could pose more of a challenge.

When you’re stuck in bed, have your roommate pick up a sumo orange for a triple dose of Vitamin C. Or try this yummy grapefruit recipe when your sweet tooth is kicking in. And now that blood orange season is upon us, try these recipes to start feeling better ASAP.

Some research has shown that orange juice has too much sugar to effectively boost your immune system. Skepticism aside, I’ll be sticking with OJ – no pulp, of course.

#SpoonTip: Try eating these foods now to prevent your trip to the doctor.